- An improved calibration methodology was applied to the SMAP Level-1B brightness temperatures.
- Revised the coefficients in the land surface temperature computation to be consistent with the SMAP Level-2 soil moisture passive enhanced product. The new coefficients are C=0.246, K=1.007 for AM passes and C=1.0, K=1.007 for PM passes.
- Changed the omega parameter of the tau-omega model for forest landcover classes (1-5) from 0.05 to 0.07.
- Uses a new high-resolution soil database (SoilGrid250m; Hengl et al., 2017).
- Uses bulk density to set the upper limit of the soil moisture retrievals. Previous versions used a fixed value of 0.65 m3/m3.
- Enhanced documentation on Data Flags in the User Guide to help data users to better understand and use the flags.
- Added a bit in the TB Disaggregation QC flag to indicate (1) the use of SMAP AM or PM data; and (2) the time difference (greater or less than 36 hours) between the SMAP and Sentinel observations overlap.
- Fixed the EASE_[row/column]_index_apm_[1km/3km] data fields to make them 0-based.
- Fixed the range beginning and ending time in the file metadata.
For the full major and minor version history, go to https://nsidc.org/data/smap/data_versions.