You may download and use photographs, imagery, or text from our Web site, unless limitations for its use are specifically stated. Please credit the National Snow and Ice Data Center as described below.
Citing NSIDC scientific data sets
As a condition of use, you must cite the use of our data in your work with a formal citation. A citation acknowledges our data contributors, and allows us to track the use and impact of our data. It also helps us report data distribution activity to funding agencies, and to assist others who may contact us about data that are referenced in publications.
- The citation should be included in the references section of your publication.
- Note that each data set landing page on the NSIDC website provides a citation formatter with options for APA, Chicago, and Bibtex. If you need assistance with a citation format, please contact NSIDC User Services.
Use and credits of photographs and satellite images
You may download and use photographs and satellite imagery on this site free of charge, with proper credit. Photos and imagery may have different copyright restrictions and credits. Unless otherwise specified, you may use our photographs and imagery for commercial purposes; however, you may not re-sell them.
Crediting photographs and images:
- General credit format: "Image/photo courtesy of the National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado, Boulder."
- When a photographer is named: "Photo courtesy T. Scambos/National Snow and Ice Data Center"
- Satellite image: Please credit the agency and satellite instrument. Example: "Imagery from the NASA MODIS instrument, courtesy NASA NSIDC DAAC."
Some photographs and images may specify other credits. These credits are provided at the point of download.
If you need additional help, please contact NSIDC User Services.