MEaSUREs Antarctic Boundaries for IPY 2007-2009 from Satellite Radar, Version 2
Data set id:
This is the most recent version of these data.
Major changes for Version 2 include:
Minor changes include:
- Added the basins IMBIE 2016 and refined
- Updated and expanded the attribute lists
Minor changes include:
- Changed grounding lines for Crosson/Dotson ice shelves based on Sentinel-1A
- Added 15 new small ice shelves
- Added missing ice rises on Larsen-C, Riiser-Larsen, Quar, Atka, Fimbul, Crosson, Borchgrevink, Beaudouin, and Pine Island ice shelves
- Fixed an issue with Wordie ice shelf boundaries (Cape Jeremy basin)
- Fixed an issue with Larsen A ice shelf, Drygalski glacier
- Fixed small gaps between polygons
- Updated names of the ice shelves (each polygon has a specific name)
- Removed grounded polygon from IceBoundaries (provided by GroundingLine_Antarctica shapefile)
This data set, part of the NASA Making Earth System Data Records for Use in Research Environments (MEaSUREs) program, provides maps of Antarctic ice shelves, Antarctic basins, and the Antarctic coastline. The maps are assembled from 2008-2009 ice-front data from the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency's (JAXA) ALOS PALSAR and European Space Agency's ENVISAT ASAR data, acquired during International Polar Years 2007-2009 (IPY); the InSAR-based grounding line data (MEaSUREs Antarctic Grounding Line from Differential Satellite Radar Interferometry), augmented with other grounding line sources; the Antarctic ice velocity map (MEaSUREs InSAR-Based Antarctica Ice Velocity Map); and the Bedmap-2 DEM. See Antarctic Ice Sheet Velocity and Mapping Data for related data.
BASINSCOASTLINEGROUNDING LINEICE SHELVES
ALOS, AQUA, COSMO-SKYMED, ENVISAT, ERS-1, ERS-2, LANDSAT-8, RADARSAT-1, RADARSAT-2, SENTINEL-1A, TERRA
ASAR, C-SAR, MODIS, OLI, PALSAR, SAR
GeoTIFF, BMP, Shapefile
7 February 1992 to 31 December 2015
25 m to 250 m
Spatial Reference System(s):
WGS 84 / Antarctic Polar Stereographic
Blue outlined yellow areas on the map below indicate the spatial coverage for this data set.
Data Access & Tools
Sample Data Image
How to Articles
Many NSIDC DAAC data sets can be accessed using the NSIDC DAAC's Data Access Tool. This tool provides the ability to search and filter data with spatial and temporal constraints using a map-based interface. Users have the option to
We recommend using the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library (GDAL) to convert GeoTIFF files into a different format.