- Note: The red dashed/dotted line for 2016 indicates provisional data from the DMSP F-18 satellite. These data should not be used for quantitative analysis. See our post on the F-18 satellite transition.
- View additional years by clicking the dates in the legend.
- Roll your cursor over the line to see daily sea ice extent values.
- Zoom in to any area on the chart by clicking and dragging your mouse.
- To see a corresponding daily sea ice concentration image, click on a line in the chart. Sea ice extent is derived from sea ice concentration. Images are not available for the average or standard deviation.
- Currently, some functions do not work in Internet Explorer. We recommend using a different browser.
- For more information about the data, see About Charctic data.
- This interactive graph is a beta version. If you have questions or problems, please contact NSIDC User Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NSIDC scientists provide Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis, with partial support from NASA.