Charctic Interactive Sea Ice Graph
Sea ice analysis data spreadsheets
These Excel workbooks organize Arctic and Antarctic sea ice data in spreadsheets for ease of analysis. See the “Documentation” tab in each workbook for more description, and links to more information about the workbooks.
- All daily (single day and five-day trailing average) extent values in one file, updated daily (Sea_Ice_Index_Daily_Extent_G02135_v3.0.xlsx)
- Monthly sea ice average extent and area, and rankings (Sea_Ice_Index_Monthly_Data_with_Statistics_G02135_v3.0.xlsx)
- Sea ice extent and area organized by year (Sea_Ice_Index_Monthly_Data_by_Year_G02135_v3.0.xlsx)
- Minimum and maximum extent values and dates for each month and year, with rankings (Sea_Ice_Index_Min_Max_Rankings_G02135_v3.0.xlsx)
- Sea ice extent rates of change (Sea_Ice_Index_Rates_of_Change_G02135_v3.0.xlsx)
- Daily sea ice extent, by region (N_Sea_Ice_Index_Regional_Daily_Data_G02135_v3.0.xlsx and S_Sea_Ice_Index_Regional_Daily_Data_G02135_v3.0.xlsx)
- Monthly sea ice extent, by region (N_Sea_Ice_Index_Regional_Monthly_Data_G02135_v3.0.xlsx and S_Sea_Ice_Index_Regional_Monthly_Data_G02135_v3.0.xlsx)
- Daily sea ice extent 1981-2010 climatology (N_seaice_extent_climatology_1981-2010_v3.0.csv and S_seaice_extent_climatology_1981-2010_v3.0.csv)
You can also access the standard Sea Ice Index data files at ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/DATASETS/NOAA/G02135/. Extent and area values and climatologies are in comma-separated values (.csv) files, organized by hemisphere, daily or monthly. These directories also contain daily and monthly image files in PNG and GeoTiff formats.
The Sea Ice Analysis Tool allows users to analyze monthly-averaged or daily sea ice extent and concentration via interactive maps. In addition, users can plot monthly ice extent anomalies, map sea ice concentration anomalies, and display images of trends in sea ice concentration, all for a variety of date, climatology, and trend ranges.
Spatially compare sea ice extent for any two days or months between 1979 and present.
Sea ice animations
Animations of sea ice extent or concentration averaged for September, in movie format. The magenta line shows the median ice edge for 1981 to 2010.
- Animation of September Arctic sea ice extent images, 1979 to most recent year
- Animation of September Arctic sea ice concentration images, 1979 to most recent year
- Animation of September Antarctic sea ice extent images, 1979 to most recent year
- Animation of September Antarctic sea ice concentration images, 1979 to most recent year
Sea ice thickness and volume
This map shows the latest monthly-averaged sea ice thickness from the CryoSat-2 Level-4 Sea Ice Elevation, Freeboard, and Thickness data set. This map is updated from October through March/mid-April.
This graph shows a time-series plot of the latest sea ice volume from the CryoSat-2 Level-4 Sea Ice Elevation, Freeboard, and Thickness data set. This graph is updated from October through March/mid-April.