Charctic Interactive Sea Ice Graph
Sea ice analysis data spreadsheets
These Excel workbooks organize Arctic and Antarctic sea ice data in spreadsheets for ease of analysis. See the “Documentation” tab in each workbook for more description, and links to more information about the workbooks.
- All daily (single day and five-day trailing average) extent values in one file, updated daily (Sea_Ice_Index_Daily_Extent_G02135_v2.1.xlsx)
- Monthly sea ice average extent and area, and rankings (Sea_Ice_Index_Monthly_Data_with_Statistics_G02135_v2.1.xlsx)
- Sea ice extent and area organized by year (Sea_Ice_Index_Monthly_Data_by_Year_G02135_v2.1.xlsx)
- Minimum and maximum extent values and dates for each month and year, with rankings (Sea_Ice_Index_Min_Max_Rankings_G02135_v2.1.xlsx)
- Sea ice extent rates of change (Sea_Ice_Index_Rates_of_Change_G02135_v2.1.xlsx)
- Daily sea ice extent, by region (Sea_Ice_Index_Regional_Daily_Data_G02135_v2.1.xlsx)
- Monthly sea ice extent, by region (Sea_Ice_Index_Regional_Monthly_Data_G02135_v2.1.xlsx)
You can also access the standard Sea Ice Index data files at ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/DATASETS/NOAA/G02135/. Extent and area values and climatologies are in comma-separated values (.csv) files, organized by hemisphere, daily or monthly. These directories also contain daily and monthly image files in PNG and GeoTiff formats.
Sea Ice animations
Animations of sea ice extent or concentration averaged for September, in movie format. The magenta line shows the median ice edge for 1981 to 2010.
- Animation of September Arctic sea ice extent images, 1979 to most recent year
- Animation of September Arctic sea ice concentration images, 1979 to most recent year
- Animation of September Antarctic sea ice extent images, 1979 to most recent year
- Animation of September Antarctic sea ice concentration images, 1979 to most recent year