- View additional years by clicking the dates in the legend.
- Roll your cursor over the line to see daily sea ice extent values.
- Zoom in to any area on the chart by clicking and dragging your mouse.
- To see a corresponding daily sea ice concentration image, click on a line in the chart. Sea ice extent is derived from sea ice concentration. Images are not available for the average or standard deviation.
- Data are from the Sea Ice Index.
- Graphs shown here may vary slightly from graphs displayed in Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis, due to differences in handling leap years. However, the underlying data values are the same.
- Currently, some functions do not work in Internet Explorer. We recommend using a different browser.
- This interactive graph is a beta version. If you have questions or problems, please contact NSIDC User Services at email@example.com.
- Note, 11 March 2015: NSIDC has made two revisions to the Sea Ice Index extent values used in our analyses, to improve scientific accuracy. These changes do not affect sea ice trends and year-to-year comparisons, but in some instances you may notice very small changes in values from the previous version of the data. See the Sea Ice Index documentation for more information.
NSIDC scientists provide Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis, with partial support from NASA.