[GLIMS] Black Lives Matter

Bruce RAUP braup at nsidc.org
Thu Jun 11 14:29:35 MDT 2020

Hello all,

I share your concerns, Jeff.  I am moved by the protests happening around
the world in response to deplorable events (and crimes) in the US.  One
might think that this is mainly a problem in the US, but the context of the
current problems in the US is a lasting legacy of colonialism and racism
world-wide.  Internationally, we do have many colleagues not descended from
Western Europeans, but you're right that glaciology in the US especially is
not proportionally representative of the general population.

One of the most fundamental things we need to do in the US is to push for
primary and secondary education to be funded by the national government.
Education now varies tremendously by postal code.

Even though the world has rallied to our American cause, I think we need to
be careful in how we talk about this in the international context.  I heard
someone on the radio say "countries of color", which struck me as odd,
US-centric, and paternalistic.  Not that you said anything like that,
Jeff....

Stay tuned here for near-future announcements related to GLIMS and the
Randolph Glacier Inventory.  :-)

Best regards to all (regardless of what you look like, whom you love, or
whether you butter your bread on the top or bottom),

Bruce

--
Bruce H. RAUP
National Snow and Ice Data Center