[GLIMS] GLIMSBook: Re-use of figures; proof ready date and procedures; online supplement, not DVD

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 18 09:24:17 MDT 2013

Dear GLIMS book authors:
Janet Sterritt from Springer and Neil from Praxis have clarified four matters that may be of concern to you.
1. One author wished to re-use elsewhere a figure from their GLIMS book chapter. Janet stated that re-use is freely permitted so long as the original source is cited.  No fees are necessary.  That's easy!
2. Neil states that the proofs will not be ready until late May. Sorry about the continuing wait, but it is not much longer.  I also asked whether we could have the early-proofed chapters at least to go through those now, and he strongly discouraged this, since there is another stage of copy-editing that is done after all the proofs are generated but before we see them.   Once we receive them, the editorial handlers of your chapter will be in touch with the lead author and a designated alternate on the chapter team (for those with multiple authors).  We will have 2 weeks only to return the proofs once we receive them.  It is absolutely crucial that we know who will be the primary corresponding author during that late May (and maybe into early June) period and have your up-to-date contact information:   Name   Institution   City   Phone number   Email address  That person must be available, and preferably also alternate.  Several authors have identified errors in the submitted manuscripts, and we have notes of these corrections, but please also indicate the corrections also in your proof correction.  You should Cc Greg Leonard (gleonard at email.arizona.edu) with any substantive communications regarding your chapter.  I will be in Vietnam and unavailable 75% of the days during the proof correction period, so remember to Cc Greg Leonard!
3. It was decided at Springer to go with an online e-supplement rather than a DVD supplement.   Also I have made the decision to post ALL chapter figures on the e-supplement at the full submitted resolution, for all chapters, except where authors had requested (or will now request) this not to be the case.  We have only one request not to do so (some of the figures from the European Alps chapter).  It is still not too late to add further materials to the e-supplement if you wish to post something (contact Bruce Raup, braup at nsidc.org, and Cc Greg Leonard).
4. You may have seen the GLIMS book ad on the Springer website and on Amazon.com  There has been some errant information popping up in those ads, and they are trying to correct it.
Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel