[GLIMS] GLIMS Update: GLIMSBook update-- last tasks; uploading to publisher

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 20 20:56:29 MDT 2012

Dear colleagues and coauthors,Apologies for cross-posting some of you, but I must be sure that GLIMS Book lead authors and/or at least one coauthor/alternate contact reads this.
Nearly all of the GLIMS book chapters are either complete or in a very advanced state and close to completion.  Uploads of some chapters to the publisher has been performed.  Many other chapters are ready for upload.  Several chapters are at what we may call the 95% point and will move to 100% in the next couple weeks.  Other chapters remain still in the works--mainly some of my chapters, as I have deferred those as I worked on quite a few other chapters.  The remaining chapters will progress very swiftly and will not delay the overall book.  The publisher has already started the cover design and is pleased with the fact that we have finally reached this point.  There are a couple matters which pertain to many or a few chapters still:1. ALTERNATE POINT OF CONTACT: Lead authors who expect to be absent over the next 2 weeks should provide an alternate chief point of contact.  Most chapters are requiring significant last-day communication to move them from "second revised draft received" to "editorial handler approved" and then to "submission ready".  If you are a coauthor and know that the lead author is already vacationing, in the field, or at a conference, please step forward and have your name and email address listed as the alternate point of contact until the lead author returns. 2. REPUBLICATION OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL:  Lead authors and coauthors must assess whether any copyright releases/permissions are needed, in case a figure is carried over from another publication having copyright held by the publisher or an individual.  Written permission is needed.  If you are the originator of the figure, hold intellectual rights to it in some capacity, but a book or journal publisher holds the formal copyright, you have two choices: seek written permission to reproduce it (and generally this will include an obligation to cite the published source and indicate permission to republish), or create a new figure, which can be the old figure with new data points added or some other value-added content, such that the GLIMS book figure is essentially a new figure. Praxis-Springer will also require proof of permission to republish if that is the situation, and I am sure we will have to sign a statement that nothing in the book is under another copyright, or that permissions have been granted and proven.3. STAND-ALONE FIGURE FILES.  Most authors have submitted chapters containing the figures.  That's fine.  But we need all the figures as separate stand-alone files, tiffs or jpegs, at high resolution (print size and 300 dpi minimum 600 dpi preferably). Here is a list of chapters where so far Greg Leonard's archives lack all of the stand-alone figures. In some cases, I have them in my files.  But if you are a lead author and are pretty sure you have not sent the figures as stand-alone files (each figure having its own filename), then please send them to Greg Leonard and Cc me and whoever has been serving as your editorial handler.4. ADEQUATE GRAPHICS SIZE. Adequate for a powerpoint presentation is not usually adequate for publication. 300 dpi minimum; 600 dpi preferred.  Recall that the book will have a supplemental DVD, and huge graphics, videos, and so on can be included.  Last chance to think about it and provide something.  No special format or documentation needed, other than at least caption type information.  It is not reviewed.  We of course only want high-quality material that adds to the value of your chapter.NEED STAND-ALONE FIGURE FILES/OTHER NOTES:Ch 3   FurfaroCh 4   KaabCh 5   QuinceyCh 9   SharpCh 12 Wolfe-- David, don't panic.  I'll be working with you these next 2 weeksCh 13 Kargel-- Likewise, coauthors of Chugach chapter, the next 3 weeks will move this chapter to completionCh 14 Wheate (Missing Figs 8 and 9. Also, insure all other figures match Feb 2012 manuscript. Some current figures appear to have small file sizes and therefore pixel density may be questionable - please check)Ch 15 Kargel (Fig 3 DEM time series - Wheate; and Fig 5 - Wheate?)-- I have these, no fears.Ch 16 Demuth (Figs 1-4_Ch 18 Sigurdsson (Fig 6 currenly only in MS Word format. Also Fig 1 could benefit from some geographic annotation)Ch 20 PaulCh 22 Krumweide-- Leonard will be finishing his part of the chapter in a matters of daysCh 26 Albert (latest version has 17 figures - need all as stand-alone files)Ch 27 Casassa-expecting final revision, need stand-alone figure filesCh 29 Chinn-- Trevor, I have these, don't worryCh 33 Kargel--summary chapter