[GLIMS] Fwd: NEPAL GLACIER AA PROFILE

wendell Tangborn hymet01 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 20:28:45 MDT 2011

Dear Adina,

How do the old and present day glacier outlines compare?  I assume these
glaciers have lost considerable area in the past few decades and if they are
small glaciers the AA profiles would be significantly altered.  This problem
occurred with So Cascade Glacier so that it was necessary to change AA
profiles every few years when running the model. Do you have information on
the present and past areas of these two glaciers?  Having AA profiles for
both old and new outlines would be useful.

Your help with Chhita Chigri glacier in India will also be appreciated (does
Chign mean glacier in Hindi?).  Validation of the PTAA model by comparison
with field measured mass balances is one of the goals of this project.

Debris-covered glaciers should also be tested, as you suggest.  I have an
idea that it may be possible to estimate the amount of debris-cover if we
have enough glaciers with varying amounts of cover in the the full set of
200.

Attached are two files that can be used as guides for developing new files
of AA profiles and a file of daily precipitation, maximum and minimum
temperatures.for the two glaciers in Nepal and the one in India.

--
Wendell Tangborn
HyMet
hymet01 at gmail.com