GLIMS Workshop, Perugia--Maps and hotels

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 3 15:32:31 MST 2007

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

Hopefully many of you have already made your hotel reservations for next
July's GLIMS workshop.  If not, you should be doing so soon, as some hotels
have already filled up.  With IUGG and a jazz festival happening, waiting is
risky.

Unfortunately, the specific GLIMS meeting venue has not been set yet, but
hopefully it will be near or at the University of Perugia.  Also
unfortunately, the IUGG announcement from a few weeks ago had a
low-resolution map that made hotel finding difficult, and the new IUGG
website does not load the map (at least not with my computer).  As an
interim, you may find the following maps useful:

-- Try maps.google.com, and type in Perugia, Italy.  You can match that
zoomable map, with scale, to other maps that have the hotels.

-- To find some local hotels near the University (where the majority of IUGG
sessions will be held), you can look at:
http://www.pg.infn.it/images/hotelmap.gif?id=13
For this map, the location of the Department of Physics has no relevance to
us, except that it is at the university.

Then you can use IUGG website resources or 'google' to find the hotel
contact information.  Sorry that this is not well organized quite yet, but I
would rather have you struggle and find a hotel soon than for you to wait
for everything to be easy and discover that hotels are not available.

Please recall that IUGG abstracts are due at the end of January.  We will
produce a booklet of GLIMS abstracts that will include some that are for the
dedicated GLIMS workshop (6 July 2007) and others that are from IUGG
meeting.  Generally, you should submit your GLIMS science to the IUGG
meeting.  As you make your reservations, please note that there will be a
GLIMS field trip to nearby small debris-covered glaciers on 7-8 July; at
this time we are unsure whether field trip participants will stay in a hut
or in a small hotel near the hiking site, but the overnight there will be on
7 July.

Please confirm your intention to attend (a) the workshop and (b) the field
trip.  There will be a registration for each of these, but we will keep
costs as low as possible.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel