GLIMS workshop--Perugia, Italy--July 2007

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 19 13:33:34 MST 2006

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

Please remember that GLIMS is planning to hold a workshop in association with the IUGG meeting in Perugia, Italy.  General conference information may be obtained from: http://www.iugg2007perugia.it/  The IUGG meeting dates are 2 July-13 July 2007.

We have not made the logistical arrangements yet, but please consider putting IUGG into your travel plans for 2007.

The present planning for cryosphere sessions includes a number of titles to which GLIMS researchers may wish to make contributions.  These session titles may be found at http://www.igsoc.org/symposia/2007/perugia/uccs.pdf.  In order to make for a more visible presence of GLIMS at IUGG, it may be good to use the keyword GLIMS in your title or abstract.  In my opinion, the IUGG meeting itself is long enough as it is, and I would prefer not to lengthen it any further.  One option under consideration is that as many GLIMS science presentations as possible will be delivered at IUGG itself under existing session titles; we can then hold a separate brief GLIMS workshop possibly during the 2 weeks of IUGG, either during the daytime when no other cryosphere sessions are being held, or during a couple evenings.  The dedicated GLIMS workshop would then include only GLIMS program-specific agenda items.  I am inquiring whether a dedicated GLIMS session is still possible to be added into the program, or whether we should submit abstracts to one or more existing planned sessions; the latter would seem most probable at this time.

Another option is to hold the GLIMS meeting before or after IUGG, though it is not my preference to do so.
Your comments and indications of preference are much needed at this time.

It is my intention to develop options for glacier visits in either the Alps or the Appenines, or both; or to organize GLIMS participation in official IUGG field trips to glaciers.  At this time the dates of those field activities are not known; they could take place during IUGG, duringt he weekend between IUGG weeks, or either before or after IUGG.  We will know more soon.

Please note that electronic submission of IUGG abstracts has a deadline of 31 January 2007.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel