Redux: Proposed GLIMS definition of "glacier"

Frank Paul fpaul at geo.unizh.ch
Thu Jun 15 12:27:03 MDT 2006

Hi all

Just a small comment why I think the term ice-shelve can be restricted
to Antarctica. The official UNESCO/IAHS definition says:
"A floating ice sheet of considerable thickness attached to a coast,
nourished by glacier(s); snow accumulation on its surface or bottom
freezing."

If we agree that the used term 'ice sheet' refers only to Antarctica and
Greenland, than the situation is clear. However, it is also possible
that they wanted to say 'sheet of ice' instead of 'ice sheet' and then
we can have a much broader application. In particular if the ice shelve
is 'nourished by glacier(s)' this would mean the opposite, e.g. the
Ross Ice Shelve is feeded by an ice sheet (i.e. not a glacier) and can
thus NOT be termed an ice shelve ...

So, I think it is the best when we agree on how we wanted to use the
respective terms and then make it a standard for GLIMS.

Regards, Frank