Redux: Proposed GLIMS definition of "glacier"

Bruce Raup braup at nsidc.org
Thu Jun 15 10:58:03 MDT 2006

Hi Martin,

On 2006-06-13 12:17 -0600,  Martin Sharp wrote:

> Bruce - There are ice shelves all along the north coast of Ellesmere Island...
> Martin

Yes, I thought this was the case, which is why I was surprised at the view
that the term should be restricted to Antartica -- a view I've heard from
a couple of people.  It seems to me that the restriction to ocean-floating
ice fed by two or more glaciers suitably weeds out ice tongues and ice
floating on lakes, which I think should be treated as part of their
respective glaciers.

Bruce

--
Bruce Raup