Redux: Proposed GLIMS definition of "glacier"

Bruce Raup braup at nsidc.org
Tue Jun 13 10:57:33 MDT 2006

Hi Frank, and all,

Thanks for the summary of the EGU Splinter Meeting.  I've been meaning to
continue the discussion on the list about the GLIMS definition of
"glacier", and your message has prodded me into action.  I'm sure the
discussion will be continued at the GLIMS Workshop in Cambridge, but I've
summarized the (simple) definition and (more complex) comments at

http://cires.colorado.edu/~braup/GLIMS_temp/

I think the comments related to snowfields above the accumulation area
still need work.

An addition to the discussion is a point made by Donghui Shangguan about
merging glaciers.  Please see the image at the above URL.

I have modified the definition slightly to be clearer about ice shelves.
Neal -- the reason an ice shelf should be fed by two or more glaciers is
because it seems more natural to treat ice tongues (fed by only one
glacier, e.g. Mertz or David/Drygalski) as part of the glacier.  I also
added that the ice should be floating on the ocean.  Perhaps we can also
explicitly limit ice shelves to Antarctica as Frank Paul suggests.

I think that the "definition" of a glacier for GLIMS will have to be a set
of guidelines, rather than a rigid definition.  Some guidelines will be
firm, and some will have to be more flexible.  Perhaps the next iteration
should be organized as such:

Definition

Consequences (firm)

Guidelines (somewhat flexible)

At some point soon I will make this definition and discussion into its own
section in the GLIMS Analysis Tutorial, a preliminary version of which is
available at
http://www.glims.org/MapsAndDocs/assets/GLIMS_Analysis_Tutorial.pdf

In a previous message (from March 2), Frank brought up a number of other
points, one of which related to the GLIMS Glacier Classification Manual.
I want to emphasize that this discussion of "glacier definition" is a
different issue from whether to call an ice body a "glacier" or "ice
field" or "ice cap".  We're trying to define guidelines for how to
delineate a unit ice mass for inclusion into the GLIMS Glacier Database --
not haggle over the definitions of different terms for ice masses.

I look forward to seeing further discussion on the list.

Best regards,
Bruce

--
Bruce Raup