GLIMS working group mailing lists

Bruce Raup braup at kryos.colorado.edu
Wed Aug 9 14:00:43 MDT 2000

Hello Matthias.

> So you mail came in the right moment, but I did not get a welcome
> message. Could you please add me (matthias.braun at ipg.uni-freiburg.de)
> to the mailing list of
>                            glims_database
> and                        glims_param

This should be done now.

> Furthermore, I'd like to ask, if there are any further developments
> regarding the GLIMS database, data standards, feature codes and the
> data model, despite the info on the GLIMS web page. One of our first
> steps will be to think on a database concept and the data interchange
> between the database and ARC/INFO ERDAS Imagine we use for the
> analysis.  We have already a large amount of RS data from other
> sensors with which we can start and test.  Finally, we became
> coordinator under SCAR WG-GGI for the development of a GIS of my study
> aera King George Island and again, one first stept is the formulation
> of data standards, a data model and compiling a data invetory. I
> strongly asked for a compatibility of these data sets, since glaciers
> will form part of the GIS for environmental studies and glacier
> retreat is quite important for all other environemental studies down
> there.
>
> So any additional info how you finally intent to integrate the data in
> your database at NSIDC would be of help and make compatibility easier.

Data transfer standards and protocols have yet to be worked out.  I expect
this will be a topic of discussion on the glims_database list.  We hope to
be compatible with any applicable open standards for data format as well.
I'm not an expert in database design, but we have such experts here at
NSIDC.  While in Flagstaff, I worked out an initial "strawman" design,
which is the design that's on the GLIMS website.  With this as a starting
point, I believe discussion on this list, plus expert input from our NSIDC
database people, will result in a good design that will serve everyone's
needs.  Through the mailing list, you will be able to make sure all your
concerns are known.

Cheers,
Bruce

--
Bruce Raup
National Snow and Ice Data Center                     Phone:  303-492-8814
Boulder, CO  80309-0449                            Bruce.Raup at colorado.edu