"left" and "right" sides of glacier boundaries

Graham Cogley gcogley1 at cogeco.ca
Fri Feb 25 08:58:35 MST 2005

     One problem with hydrological "handedness" (look downstream and identify
"left" with your left hand) is that it does not work for polygons for which
"downstream" has no meaning, such as drainage divides. In computer graphics,
and more generally in topology, the decision between "inside on the left" and
"inside on the right" becomes arbitrary - it doesn't matter which you choose,
*but* it is essential that you make your choice and then stick to it. In the
nesting of polygons, for example, it is desirable for nunataks to have the
opposite polarity from glaciers and for glaciers inside nunataks to have the
same polarity as glaciers. If they do, then all the glacier areas come out
positive and all the nunatak areas come out negative. In other words, the
polygons carry valuable information implicitly, and for this basic measurement
it is not necessary to rely on explicit coding of the polygon type.

     For what little it is worth (because I am not contributing actively to
GLIMS), my vote would be for the opposite convention from Bruce's (because all
of the polygons on my computer are that way around). But I would urge the
desirability of getting as soon as possible to the state described in Bruce's
second paragraph. There are ways of achieving this, but they mean a little
work. As an interim measure, would it be feasible to provide a button to
reverse the polarity of any polygon (or polyline)? Or even a button to reverse
the polarity of all polygons/polylines sharing some chosen attribute?

     Graham.
     gcogley@
          _/                                            _/
         _/                                            _/

             J. Graham Cogley, Ph.D., Professor of Geography,
                Department of Geography, Trent University,
        1600 West Bank Drive, Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA K9J 7B8.
    Fax 705-742-2131.  Tel 705-748-1011-ext1440.  Email gcogley at trentu.ca
             http://www.trentu.ca/geography/glaciology.htm