"left" and "right" sides of glacier boundaries

Siri Jodha Singh Khalsa sjsk at nsidc.org
Fri Feb 25 09:21:59 MST 2005

 From a spatial metadata standpoint:

In ECS a GPolygon "must have at least 3 unique points ordered in a
clockwise direction with the interior to the right."

The FGDC is silent on the ordering of the points of a GPolygon.

But Oracle, in it's spatial database extension, uses the convention -
outer polygons are counterclockwise and interior polygons are clockwise.

I say we go with Oracle's convention.

Cheers,

Siri Jodha

--
Siri Jodha Singh Khalsa, Ph.D. / Space Sciences Sector, L-3 GSI
ECS Science Data Coordinator for the National Snow and Ice Data Center