[GLIMS] NSIDC write-up on "extinct glaciers" tracking in GLIMS

Bruce Raup braup at colorado.edu
Thu Nov 9 10:51:19 MST 2023

Hello Andrea,

Thanks for the questions.  I meant to say that in this context, we're
interested in glaciers that have disappeared, or been de-listed as
"glaciers", within the last 50-100 years or so.  Obviously, many glaciers
have gone away since the last ice age, but we're interested in those that
are victims of more recent changes.

Some glaciers have completely melted away -- those are the easy cases.
Some have become small ice patches that would no longer be considered
glaciers.  Dead debris-covered ice is usually not called "a glacier"
anymore, even if we might say that it is "glacial ice".  So, there is some
subjectivity to this, but if you, expert as you are in your geographic
area, would say that an ice body is no longer a glacier, then we will call
it "extinct" on your authority.

In my view, if a glacier has become "invisible", it may still be a glacier,
or it may be considered a rock glacier.  Invisible glaciers in Colorado are
called rock glaciers, but large expanses of debris-covered ice in the
Karakorum (for example) are still considered glaciers.  Here again, I would
defer to the people who have the deepest knowledge of the area.

I point out that this tracking in GLIMS is recent, and I will likely add
a field to each "extinct" record to note the source of the pronouncement of
extinction.

Best regards,
Bruce