[GLIMS] ASTER Update: when to decommission ASTER?

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 10:53:51 MDT 2023

Bruce,

I will send the PDF separately to you, but it can be posted for general GLIMS access. It is an updated presentation relative to what you may have been able to snag from an ASTER team meeting site. I am really pleased to see a small outpouring of support for keeping ASTER going for as long as we can keep it alive.

New gain calculations would help a lot, especially for the gains of the coming GLIMS STAR, planned to start January 1. Until now the drifting orbit and equator crossing time has been a bit of a minor matter, but next year it will likely require new gain settings in many cases. I will send you the STARs as the exist, and notify the ASTER Mission Ops that we want to generate new gains. The STARs evolved significantly for the presently active cycle, resulting in much better coverage of the Himalaya region; and last year, which resulted in much better Alaska coverage after the mysterious "exclusion zone" was lifted over Alaska.

 I have an experimental Science Team acquisition request (xAR) in the system which already has acquired data, to go all the way with low sun with grazing incidence and other very low sun angle (high off-nadir incidence). It is called ASTER xIm; I think that name is for ASTER Experimental Imaging. It was a result of a Drifting Orbits proposal, and that was actually one of three that ASTER submitted to NASA to justify keeping the mission going. ASTER was extended on the basis of those proposals, albeit with a 50% budget cut. ASTER xIm low-sun acquisitions was, therefore, a chief basis for approving ASTER and Terra for continued operation during the drifting orbits final years. If you'll recall, the novel drifting orbits proposals has to be something new, not just a continuance of what has been going on. The philosophy for ASTER xIm low-sun imaging is "if you can't beat them, then join them" in going for full-blown low-sun imaging, but over snowy surfaces only.

The processing backlog is just now starting to catch those acquisitions, which were made over Antarctica last December and Greenland in February-March, and Alaska in March. The last two slides show the browse images captured for one of those acquisitions over Alaska.  If somebody out there wants to work with me on a super-secret (hahaha) miniproject that will result in a paper, come forward with your volunteerism. It will be worth your while. I will do a special photoclinometry method adapted from something I developed for planet Mercury (and it works!). There's no money in it, just the glory of a new analysis method. If we can prove its worth, then I will be able to get an expanded set of low-sun special acquisitions. Currently, I have no technical support at all (and no money to speak of), so that's why I say there's no money involved. We would have to publish in a. free journal.

--Jeff