[GLIMS] Our South Asian colleagues are suffering

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 08:12:55 MDT 2021

Dear GLIMS colleagues:
We have all heard in the media (if not directly) about the extreme COVID crisis in India. I have become aware of the personal suffering of many colleagues and friends in both India and Nepal-- either being stricken by the disease or having lost family members, and this is true also of some expats who are living outside of South Asia. I just want to express my sorrow with my South Asian colleagues, and of course all those around the world who are from that region (or not). We go about our research remotely, and go about our lives, including for some of us we go about our collaborations with colleagues from South Asia. There is not a waking hour that passes that the COVID crisis and the personal and family sufferings of my friends are not on my mind and in my hurting heart. For GLIMS colleagues and friends and your families, and your coworkers, and your nations, I wish you the best and pray in my own way for your safety and well being, or at least your ability to cope and "bounce back" when the time is right. For those suffering anxiety-- that might be almost all of us to varying degrees-- it is good to remember that all pandemics end, and this one will, too.
Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel