[GLIMS] Nature article on Landsat

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 17:34:29 MDT 2018

John and Tim,

Sorry for cross posting between GLIMS and Cryolist.

My view is that if we want to kill the Landsat program all together, charging for its data is the way to do it: charge for data types that other similar systems are able to provide anyway. However, if we want a vibrant Landsat series with ever improving capabilities going into the future (as currently mandated by U.S. law, and also in the interests of the scientific community), then we should not institute a per-user fee or per-scene fee.  My reason is simply that there are other systems out there-- both commercial and other space agencies' satellites and sensors.  Landsat 8 is still a workhorse, though in many respects its capabilities are being outstripped by remote sensing progress elsewhere.  But still, with its data being free and still excellent, they are extremely widely used images.  It is also part of the legacy series going back to Landsat 1 MSS and especially later Landsats' TM.  But if a charge is applied, Landsat 8 is not the only show in town.  People will go elsewhere.  Then the user community for Landsat will be stripped down, and the justification for continued support for future Landsats will be crushed.  So even people who can afford to pay, such as mining companies, will be 'lost' to foreign and commercial Earth remote sensing systems.  So... if we want to cede everything to Europe, and increasingly other nations' space agencies, we can do that... killing off Landsat would be the surest way-- the faster, better, cheaper way to kill an excellent program. I personally am not so nationalistic about that.  If other agencies fill all the needed niches, and there is no need for Landsat going into the future, by all means-- give it away or throw it away; the world will survive without a Landsat program, and we can shut down Landsat 8 and save a few more quarters for the piggy bank.

Just in case my cynicism is too opaque-- NO, please don't charge for Landsat data! Doing so won't make money; it will just kill Landsat. I have had other contacts within GLIMS say essentially the same or similar things.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel