[GLIMS] GLIMS data in Google Earth Engine

Bruce RAUP braup at nsidc.org
Thu Feb 22 16:08:17 MST 2018

Hi all,

I learned a few weeks ago that GLIMS glacier outlines are available
natively in Google Earth Engine.  The layer is called "GLIMS/2016", and can
be accessed in the online platform with a simple statement like

     var glims_polys = ee.FeatureCollection('GLIMS/2016');

Google Earth Engine is a fantastic platform for analyzing huge amounts of
data without downloading it -- data such as the whole Landsat image
archive, the global SRTM DEM, road networks, etc.  I'm very happy to see
GLIMS data included in GEE, but I confess I have no idea when or how it was
put there.  More information about the GLIMS layer (and other vector
layers) is at

https://developers.google.com/earth-engine/vector_datasets

Cheers,
Bruce