[GLIMS] AAAS session, mountain glacier hazards & climate?

Jeffrey jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 7 19:32:59 MDT 2015

Dear GLIMS colleagues,I would like to organize a thematic session for the Annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, next February 12-15, 2016, in Washington, DC.  Speakers are expected to fund their own travel.  I hereby solicit your ideas for a talk (and possible speaker).The session topic to be proposed is: "A World of Mountain Hazards: Is Climate Change a Factor?"  This topic fits within the conference's overall theme, "Global Science Engagement," and proposed talks ought to emphasize the international nature of research, if it is appropriate for your talk.  As you may discern, the session may be about more than just mountain glaciers, and may include landslides, rockfall damming of streams, thawing permafrost, and so on, in addition to ice avalanches, glacier lake outburst floods, glacier surging, climate modeling associated with mountain hazards, case studies of global statistics on mountain disasters, and other topics that may be nearer to your interests.  The session proposal should include specific likely speakers, who should provide me with the following:Name (confirm correct spelling)Job TitleAffiliation (primary institution; confirm correct spelling)E-mail address (confirm address where messages can be received year-round)CityState or Province (if applicable)CountryStatus (confirmed or invited)Complete mailing addressFax Number (optional)Telephone numberPossible title or topic of your talkThank you for your consideration of this solicitation of speakers and talks.  Once I have a critical mass for a proposal (candidates should submit the bulleted information above), I will submit it before the April 24 deadline.  I suppose that after the session is approved (hopefully), there will be a call for abstracts, but I really don't yet know how their system works, as I have never submitted an AAAS session proposal before, and I will learn as the process moves along or as one of you informs me how it works.Sincerely,Jeff Kargel