[GLIMS] GLIMS book discount-- if not an author

Jeffrey jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:44:03 MST 2015

Dear GLIMS listers,The question arose, and this may be a common question, "And if you're not an author, how is it possible to obtain a discount?"  Considering the un-discounted cost of the book, I understand the question! I personally cannot get into the business of supplying nonauthors with discounted books, as there would be no end to this, and if I started down that path I am sure that somewhere I would run afoul of Springer's intent and their legitimate interests.  If you are seeking a single hard copy or e-book copy for yourself, there should be no problem seeking assistance from one of the authors whom you may know.  If you are seeking some part of the book's material for use in a class (non-profit), there are usually "fair use" provisions in copyright law which permit that, but I personally do not know where the boundaries of fair use law may be.  I personally try to limit myself far to the safe side.Today Springer offered me a 50% discount on e-book purchases due to my service last year as a reviewer; many of you will be in the same situation.  The GLIMS book could be an attractive purchase for Springer reviewers/nonauthors if there is a 50% discount.To everybody: sorry for the high price tag. I wish science could be free for everybody, but it is not the system.Sincerely,Jeff Kargel