[GLIMS] GLIMS Update: Book Cover; Glitzy GLIMSy DVD materials; Dinner in San Francisco, Fall AGU

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 12:43:22 MDT 2012

Dear all,
1. FYI, attached you will find the cover design for the GLIMS book.  Chapter proofs still anticipated in mid November (except for 2 chapters, where proofs will be available about 2 December).
2. Please note the prominent indication in the corner that the book includes a DVD.  Greg Leonard has DVD materials for many chapters; if you have something (oversize images, flyover movies, a large database, excess/supplemental figures related to your chapter, and so on), please send them to me and Cc Greg Leonard, or vice versa (gleonard at email.arizona.edu).  These materials wil not be reviewed in detailand will not be copyrighted with the book, but the publisher will make the DVD available with the book.
3. Any opinions on when we should hold a GLIMS dinner during Fall AGU? The Nye Lecture is Tuesday 5-6 PM, and then a Cryosphere business meeting takes place after that, and it would take away some peoples' ability to participate.  All other things equal, then I would suggest that we not meet Tuesday, and I'd preferWednesday or Thursday if one of those works. Opinions on where to have the dinner?  At risk of doing thesame thing as last year, I suggest that we meet again at Henry's Hunan House, 110 Natoma St.  GLIMSis an "open" group, and there is not such thing as "membership," and so if you are interested in glaciers,you are welcome to take part in the dinner and discussions.  We will aim for an informal gathering, withtime for drinks, discussions, and appetizers before dinner, and then get to dinner.  Those of you whotook part last year will recall that it was a bit crowded with 32 people, but we managed.  With a slightlyaltered arrangement of tables, Henry tells me that the same room can take in about 34 or 35 people.  IfI have an indication that the group will exceed that, we can find an alternative place.
--Jeff