[GLIMS] GLIMS Update: U.S. law regarding China cooperation; GLIMS OK (see one exception)

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 07:42:03 MDT 2012

Dear GLIMS colleagues:
For those whom it may concern (U.S.-funded scientists working with Chinese scientists and institutions), there has been an authoritative set of clarifications of the impact the recent U.S. law that prohibits bilateral cooperation.  Details are below, but the short version is that so long as a project (a research paper, or the whole GLIMS project) retains a multinational (multilateral, not bilateral) nature, it is unimpeded by this law.  Prohibitions cover only bilateral cooperation (such as a research paper authored by only U.S.-funded scientists and Chinese scientists).  So it does affect us, but only in some specific types of engagements, and for the most part we are not tremendously affected; my advice to U.S. scientists having Chinese cooperators is simply to be sure that your work is multilateral, and you should be fine.  Beyond that, one may certainly question the wisdom of the law, but that's a different matter.
Chinese collaborators in GLIMS may still remain on the list for access to ASTER data at no cost, they may still contribute to the GLIMS glacier database, U.S.-funded users of the data may still access Chinese data in the database (of course Chinese investigators, too, retain access), U.S. funded and Chinese researchers may still work together and publish papers together so long as there is at least 3rd nation involved, and so on.
I am not a lawyer and am not qualified to be relied upon for legal advice, but the case appears pretty clear to me. I consider the situation clarified and the issue has reached end of discussion.
Thanks to Mark Sykes, Max Bernstein, and Patrick Besha for divining the meaning of the law, and to the others for helping get to the bottom of it.
Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel