[GLIMS] ESA Climate Change Initiative - Ice sheets : input needed to develop new satellite data products

Christine Hvidberg ch at gfy.ku.dk
Wed Mar 7 03:44:45 MST 2012

Dear GLIMS science community,

ESA has launched a long-term term project: Ice sheets_CCI under the
Climate Change Intiative Program (www.esa-cci.org) in order to improve
data products from monitoring of ice sheets and to make the products
available for users.

We need input from the science community in developing the most useful
data products, and we hereby invite potential users to provide this
important input to the project.

The goal is to set up a long-term and reliable production of key
parameters. The selected parameters are: Surface Elevation Change, Ice
Velocity, Grounding Line Location and Calving Front Position.

The project focuses on the Greenland ice sheet including its outlet
glaciers. Antarctica is not directly included at this stage, but similar
methods will presumably be implemented to Antarctica later.

We have set up an on-line survey in order to:
1) obtain important and detailed knowledge of user requirements.
2) understand what is needed to maximize the impact of the data products.
3) understand the role and importance of the Ice sheets_CCI data
products to the climate community in general.

Please go to the survey page at:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TQVMND3

The survey takes about 15 minutes to complete. You can leave the survey
and resume it later. The first 3 questions survey the general interest
of the data products.

The deadline for participation is 13 March 2012.

Thank you in advance for your important input to help us planning and
prioritizing the development of satellite based data products from ice
sheets.

Kind regards,
Christine Hvidberg, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Rene Forsberg, Technical University of Denmark (PI)

--
Christine Schott Hvidberg
Associate Professor

Center for Ice and Climate
Niels Bohr Institute
University of Copenhagen
Juliane Maries 30, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark.
Fax: +45-35 32 06 21
Phone: +45-35 32 05 63
Email: ch at gfy.ku.dk
www.icecores.dk