[GLIMS] New dataset available: global glacier inventory

Anthony Arendt arendta at gi.alaska.edu
Thu Feb 23 11:13:27 MST 2012

Dear Colleagues:

We announce the release of version 1.0 of a global inventory of glacier
outlines called the "Randolph Glacier Inventory", or RGI 1.0:

www.glims.org/RGI <http://www.glims.org/RGI/randolph.html>/

This dataset is the product of broad international cooperation aimed at
producing a globally comprehensive set of outlines for the forthcoming
Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(IPCC AR5).

The data are supplemental to outlines already available through the
Global Land Ice Measurements from Space initiative (GLIMS), and are
provided under certain transitional usage constraints, all of which are
specified to users who request access to the data via the GLIMS website.
Please read these terms carefully before accessing and using the data.

A technical document accompanies the dataset which should be used to
assess the quality of outlines for individual regions. More work is
needed to improve the inventory, and we encourage users to help in this
task so that we can produce a second version, scheduled for release in
spring 2012. In particular, if you have better outlines than the ones
you see in RGI, please provide them. Please also let us know in case you
think we have missed a name of a contributor or if you have any other
important comments on the technical document.

A note regarding the peripheral Greenland glaciers: this is our best
estimate of non-ice sheet glaciers, and it is based on discussions with
the ice sheet modeling community. We recognize the complexity of
identifying these glaciers, and welcome input on developing a consensus
on what should be included. Our goal is to minimize double-counting with
respect to ice sheet mass balance assessments.

We thank all of our colleagues who have provided data and expertise in
assembling this product.

Please contact us if you require further information.

Anthony Arendt

on behalf of  Tobias Bolch, Graham Cogley, Alex Gardner, Jon Ove Hagen,
Regine Hock, Georg Kaser, Geir Moholdt, Tad Pfeffer, Frank Paul,
Valentina Radic and Bruce Raup.

--
Anthony Arendt

www.gi.alaska.edu/~arendta