GLIMS lists and forums

Bruce RAUP braup at nsidc.org
Wed Jan 19 17:30:19 MST 2011

Hi all,

Just an update on GLIMS mailing lists and the Web forum:  A while back I
set up a Google Group as an experimental replacement for the existing
GLIMS mailing list.  The reason the current one needs to be replaced is
because it is still hosted at the USGS in Flagstaff, AZ, and the center of
gravity of GLIMS is no longer there (i.e., they could decided at any time
to unplug the list).

Candidates for replacement are (still):

1.  NSIDC stands up a Mailman server
     This is my preference, but it's hard to get resources allocated to this
     from our system people.

2.  Todd Albert hosts the GLIMS list as he hosts CRYOLIST.
     This seems like a good option if we can't get one going at NSIDC.

3.  Google Group
     This works well in some circumstances, but I think I prefer the other
     two options.

This is primarily just an update on the matter.  I'm not asking for a vote,
but if you have strong preferences, I'm open to your comments.

Another related issue is the GLIMS Forum bulletin board at
http://glims.org.  This isn't currently being used by anyone, and it's a
bit of a maintenance burden for me.  So, I am inclined to remove it from
the GLIMS website.  Any objections to this?

I wish everyone a wonderful 2011.
Bruce

--
Bruce H. RAUP