GLIMS Update: GLIMS Book-- status and impending hard deadline

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 09:49:44 MDT 2010

Dear GLIMS colleagues,
I am writing to the whole GLIMS mailing list just so that coauthors can receive my notice in case the primary contacts for chapters is unavailable or I have an outdated address.
Some authors who submitted chapters early on are applying pressure (needed, welcome pressure) to complete the book project.  We have many chapters in already, reviewed, some of them revised and finalized.  We are aware of several other chapter manuscripts that are in an advanced state of preparation.  This message is to urge those nearly-completed chapters to be completed and submitted;  and to urge those of you who have not prepared a chapter yet but intend to, to get on with that task.  The editors have not yet set a hard deadline (what we in America crudely call a "drop-dead" deadline), but this will be a topic of discussion at this coming Friday's editorial board teleconference.  For those of you intending to submit a chapter, please offer me a realistic date when you think it can be completed.  Dates near the end of the year will definitely fall beyond the hard deadline, but we would like to establish a deadline that is firm, realistic, and accommodates as many additional chapters as possible, while not pushing completion off too long into the future.  We see that, between chapters received already and those we know are nearing submission, we have already something close to a really first-rate book, so we do not have any further motivation to let this project go on too much longer.  So please have a discussion among the authors of your chapter if you have not yet submitted a manuscript and send me a brief note about what you intend or wish regarding the book.  We will have a further notice regarding the book status (and will direct your attention to a "status" page giving chapter-by-chapter details), including a decision regarding a hard deadline.  Feel free to make inquiries, suggest a truncated or altered chapter outline, altered list of authors (in consultation with your coauthors of course), or other changes.  Of course we very much want your chapter, but the time draws near....
For those of you who cannot complete a chapter for this book, there will of course be plenty opportunities in peer-reviewed journals.
Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel