GLIMS Update (URGENT): GLIMS acquisition augmentation plan

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Tue May 26 12:35:01 MDT 2009

Dear all,
The message below is encouraging.  The time, however, is short.  It's not so much the next ASTER Science Team meeting in Japan (to start in less than 2 weeks) that creates a short time fuse, but it's the start of June's northern hemisphere imaging season that makes this a fairly urgent request.
We have asked Slawek and Gordon to coordinate (1) a Greenland imaging augmentation plan.  There are two other GLIMS Science Team Acquisition Requests which must be developed quite urgently: (2) a "glacier gap fill plan," and (3) a high-priority glacier target plan.  The gap-fill plan should be designed to fill in areas that have not had good image coverage to date, for example, no images at all, or one useful image only, over the lifetime of ASTER.  The high-priority glacier target plan should specify sites that are of special interest, due to unique geographical or human significance, due to it being a field study site, or due to special and rapid dynamics, or any other reason you would think it is especially important to monitor, even if there has already been intensive coverage.  Each regional center should identify gap-fill and high-priority targets, and send the center points (lat/lons) or polygons.   For each set of points or polygons, I need a single start and stop date.  If it is a gap-fill STAR request, generally we will try four times (once per 16 days), so you might wish to specify a 64-day imaging season.
We should not be shy about soliciting the coverage we need; we don't know how much longer ASTER will live, and you should assume that this is the last season (even though we hope it could last for several more years).  However, if we end up replicating the entire GLIMS STAR, I do not see that this would be given a special high priority, and it would probably not function as we wish.  A good target number might be to figure out how many 60x60 km scenes are needed to cover your entire region, and then specify total gap-fill that is around one-quarter of that; but if you have more gaps than that, let's get them covered.  If you have few or no gaps, you may wish to focus more on special targets.  If you are fully content with your ASTER imagery and things have been working out well, just save the quota for other people.
If you have special requirements, such as setting gains for rock targets, or you need a special season or illumination condition, or any other non-standard GLIMS imaging, let me know what it is that you're after.  But standard is easy, and easy is good.
I want to have something to submit in 2 weeks, if this is possible.  If it's not possible to respond, let me know when you can respond, and we'll try to make allowances.
Cheers,
Jeff Kargel