GLIMS Update: Fall AGU sessions, and Wednesday GLIMS dinner

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 11:44:21 MDT 2008

Dear all,

Many of us will be converging in San Francisco Dec. 15-19 for the Fall meeting of the Amer. Geophysical Union.  Bruce Raup and I are co-presiding over an oral and poster session oriented toward GLIMS (Mountain Glacier Changes I and II).  I am pleased that we received 23 papers.  I had recommended an AGU-allotted quota of eight papers for oral presentations, but in fact the Cryosphere session organizers then combined our session with others, and so there was a further reassignment of talks and posters.  So most people were assigned posters, even though there were many more than eight papers that I had thought deserved oral presentations.  We easily could have produced two oral sessions plus a vibrant poster session, especially when combined with other candidate sessions that garnered some interesting (but too few) submissions.  Alas, it was not to be, and we just were slated for one merged oral session, plus a huge poster session.  There are many other great cryospheric sessions, so this meeting is shaping up as one of the best Fall AGU meetings ever for cryosphere topics.

Bruce and I would like to organize an informal dinner on Wednesday evening after the sessions.   We can meet at the bottom of the escalators (but away from the human traffic) in the Moscone Center at about 6:00 PM, and then depart at 6:10 to a restaurant TBD.   General options include either a nearby restaurant we can walk to, or we can take the trolley or cabs to Fisherman's Wharf.
I do not anticipate that we'll have any formal component of the dinner, but we'll just have a number of tables reserved and informally settle into small-group discussions.  All this can change if there are other ideas.  Any preferences?

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel