GLIMS Update: GLIMS workshop, Montreal, next July

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 15:53:41 MDT 2008

Dear GLIMS colleagues:

GLIMS announces a 1-day workshop that will be held in association with the Joint Assembly of the IAMAS, IAPSO and IACS (MOCA-09), which will be held July 19-29, 2009, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. See the conference website: http://www.moca-09.org/

The GLIMS workshop may consist of three technical and two poster sessions: (1) technical session on glacier classification approaches, (2) poster session on GLIMS technology/sample applications, (3) methodologies for glacier-change assessment (especially flow displacement, change of glacier margins, and vertical elevation change), (4) a hands-on session featuring GLIMSView and GLACE-type experiments, and (5) an extended poster/discussion/beer/wine session on anything GLIMS.

After the MOCA-09 agenda is set we will establish a specific workshop venue and date sometime during the period of the main MOCA meeting when other cryosphere sessions are not underway. The intention is to have most scientific results of GLIMS to be presented at the MOCA meeting; at least seven sessions are relevant to GLIMS’ interests: the session just announced by Liss Andreassen and Bruce Raup (C04), a glacier hazards-relevant session (J18), an IPY session (J03), one relevant to glacier impacts of abrupt climate change (J06), on ice sheet contributions to sea level change (J04),  remote sensing of glaciers (J16), and a session of cryospheric change in Canada (C01).

We urge you to submit abstracts to the MOCA meeting (due in January) and make plans to participate in and/or present at the GLIMS workshop as well.   We will have a further update shortly after the MOCA meeting agenda is set and released.

FYI, we have advance plans to have a subsequent GLIMS meeting in Mendoza, Argentina around January 2010.

Cheers,

Jeff Kargel