GLIMS Update-Perugia; need confirmations this week

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 5 08:59:33 MST 2007

Dear colleagues,

The GLIMS community (and other friends of the cryosphere) may be interested
in taking part in four major activities in association with next July's IUGG
meeting (besides the rest of IUGG).  If you intend to take part in the field
trip to Calderone Glacier (agenda item #2) I MUST KNOW THIS WEEK, because WE
MUST BOOK A HOTEL for the evening of July 7; if you indicated interest
before, please confirm again with me.  If you intend to submit an IUGG/GLIMS
abstract (item 3 below), do so by 28 February.

1. GLIMS will hold a 1-day workshop on Friday 6 July in Perugia. Exact
meeting venue not yet determined, but it will be near the formal IUGG
sessions.  Some key topics will include training in GLIMSView; results of
the GLACE analysis standardization tests; a review of newly revamped ASTER
image acquisition requests and success; GLIMS book update; and GLIMS book
chapter team breakout meetings.

2. On the weekend of 7-8 July, Claudio Smiraglia will lead an optional field
trip (open to GLIMS and others interested in the cryosphere) to Calderone
Glacier in the Apennines, a small, debris-covered, cirque glacier remnant of
a more vigorous Late Holocene/Little Ice Age glacier in Gran Sasso National
Park. Calderone Glacier also has the distinction of being Europe's
southernmost glacier.  Participants will be organized into groups of 3 or 4
to travel to the field area by car, and then there will be a hike on foot to
the glacier.  Here is the tentative plan, courtesy of Claudio Smiraglia
(finalized logistics to be sent later):
   -- July 7 morning.  Drive 300 km from Perugia to Gran Sasso National
          Park.
   -- July 7, early afternoon: meeting-place Pietracamela; greetings from
          the mayor of the village and the director of Gran Sasso National
          Park; informal meeting on the Calderone glacier in the frame of
          Mediterranean glaciation. There will be several short
          presentations and dedications.
   -- July 7, Dinner: Possibly at Pietracamela or at Prati di Tivo in a
         typical place.
   -- July 7 night: we will spend it in a hotel in Prati di Tivo o
          Pietracamela (we are looking for inexpensive accomodations)
   -- July 8, field trip to Calderone Glacier. If the lift works we could
          use it saving 1 hour on the 3 hours needed to reach the glacier on
          foot).  We plan to reach the peak of Gran Sasso (2912 m a.s.l.),
          the top of Apennines, together with the friend of the Italian
          Alpine Club (local section of Pescara). It will depend on the
          weather and snow conditions. Please take with you your mountain
          boots, a pack with food and water and sunscreen, and high mountain
          staff!  Lunch will be in the field at the end of the excursion
          (late afternoon or early evening).
   -- July 8 evening, we will return in Perugia by car.
   Cost estimate (incomplete at this time):
        Car + fuel (assuming 4 people per small car): 45 euros/person.
        Dinner? And other meals.  Not expensive.
        Hotel 1 night: ?  Not expensive we hope.
        Mountain lift: ?
        Park entrance fee or highway tolls: ?  Not expensive.

3. Regular IUGG cryosphere sessions 9-13 July 2007.  This is where
GLIMS-related abstracts should be submitted. Please include the keyword
GLIMS in your title or abstract body, if appropriate.  Deferred abstract
deadline is 28 February 2007.  For conference information:
http://www.iugg2007perugia.it/

4. Claudio Smiraglia invites us to take part also in a post-IUGG field trip
to a large Alps glacier.  Please see the attached draft announcement.
Although it is not a "GLIMS" field trip, we are invited.

I would be interested in receiving your indication of interest in each
agenda item, but it is #2 that requires your urgent attention this week.
You should also make hotel reservations for your stay in Perugia, if
possible.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel