GLIMS Update: Global ASTER imaging reprioritization (fwd)

Gordon Hamilton gordon.hamilton at maine.edu
Tue Dec 6 11:36:35 MST 2005

Ian--

> GLIMS priorities and then assess the tasking needs. For example, I
> can understand that in terms of climate change imaging Scandinavian
> glaciers may be relatively less important than repeat coverage of
> Greenland glaciers allowing quantitative change detection.

Yikes, I hope I did not convey that impression in my last email. Imaging
Scandinavian and 'mountain' glaciers elsewhere is just as important as
imaging outlet glaciers in Greenland, which is why I do not want to see
any RC lose future acquisitions.
> However, if you want GLIMS to generate an ASTER derived baseline of
> glacier parameters then gobal coverage should be prioritised ahead of
> repeat acquisitions of regions already covered. Just a thought...

Maybe we should be looking at GLIMS from a perspective that is less
dependent on ASTER? Our science should not be driven by the specific
sensor collecting the images. ASTER happens to provide an opportunity
for long-term monitoring of glaciers and ice caps, but it is not the
only sensor flying. Now that ASTER has been flying 5+ years, I am
sure most of us will be facing continuing data availability issues
in the near future...

-gordon