GLIMS Update: Global ASTER imaging reprioritization

John L Dwyer dwyer at usgs.gov
Sun Dec 4 16:00:54 MST 2005

Jeff -

I've been reading from the sidelines and thought I'd pass along some news.

I'll be attending theTues night GLIMS meeting, and I'll have some plots of
the
ASTER L1A data acquired under the GLIMS DARs/XARs.

The LP DAAC is building an on-demand Level-1B processing system, which
will enable
us to process any Level-1A scene to Level-1B.  The processing is going to
include implementing
corrections for the known problems with the geolocation data (earth
rotation, earth nutation,
and height above sea level.  This is an important advancement that will
enable all L1A data
to be processed consistently, and it will make ~70%+ more Level-1B data
available than have
been in the past (unless PIs had their own means to process L1A to L1B.

In preparation for this, we will be generating a consistent browse for all
L1A images that will be loaded into GloVis.

I can go over this at the meeting if you'd like.

(If my reply does not go out through the listserver, please pass this
information along.)

Regards,

John

John L. Dwyer