GLIMS Update: 3 publication outlines (2 are URGENT)

Jeffrey S Kargel jkargel at usgs.gov
Fri Sep 17 19:20:04 MDT 2004

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

At the Oslo workshop the outlines were discussed and circulated for a GLIMS
Book (Praxis-Springer) and of a journal article for Remote Sensing of the
Environment.  I append a text-only file and provide an ftp link to the same
file providing these outlines in one document.  Also, in the same document,
is a proposed outline also for a journal article on Glaciological Hazards
for Hydrological Sciences Journal.   See ftpflag.wr.usgs.gov/pub/outgoing,
and then you will find the powerpoint file mentioned below as
"Kargel-Appendix2," and the other document in two formats (Mac and PC) with
the name "GLIMS_Book_RSE_JourH".

For each publication, the authors listings  are provisional, with neither
full confirmation from suggested authors (in most cases) nor any implied
limitation to the listed authors.   All of these are consortium
publications, and each of you in the GLIMS project has a voice.  While
being part of GLIMS does not automatically carry coauthorship, it does give
you an option to offer a contribution if you feel you have something that
should go into the book or papers.  Authorship will eventually be decided
on by chapter lead authors, but first we must decide who those will be.  I
have made some recommended authorship listings, but those are provisional.
I will wish to discuss possible contributions and suggestions for changes
in the outline with each of you individually if you contact me, but you may
more effectively communicate via your chapter lead author, once we know who
those will be.   At this point, please forward me your suggestions.  The
outlines here have not yet incorporated some feedback obtained from a few
of you, but those changes will be made soon.

The two most urgent items are:

(1) The RSE article, due Oct. 31 (that is a drop-dead date, already
delayed, as agreed upon by the special issue chief editor, Alan Gillespie).
If fate has it that we miss the deadline, we can submit elsewhere, but
let's try to make the deadline if possible and get into the ASTER special
issue.  The individual contributions are very brief (mostly 2 printed
pages), so we can do this!  If some of you can beat the stated deadline,
that will make my job easier.  At this point, the outline and authorship is
negotiable.  Send me your ideas and in a few days I will have a final
outline.  I will submit the paper in Microsoft Word format, and I would
appreciate receiving files either in this format (preferred), in a format
that is readily translatable to Microsoft Word, or minimally in plain text
with no control characters.  At very last resort, fax me your text, and it
will be retyped.  I do not want LaTEX.  PLEASE DO NOT EMBED FIGURES; send
me separate figure files (preferably jpegs at high resolution and low
compression), or attach them to the end of your text, and label them
according to the format: LASTNAMExy, where LAST NAME is your family name,
and xy is the figure's sequence number in your part of the text.  The
figures will be renumbered later.  Please include references in RSE style.
For information on publication format, style, length, etc., see:
    Overview: http://www.environmental-expert.com/magazine/elsevier/rse/
    Guide for authors:  See a recent issue, or see:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:YWY2yXDybAoJ:thema.univ-fcomte.fr/circumpolar/Guide-Elsevier.rtf+%22remote+sensing+of+environment%22+guide+to+authors&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I will pay the first $2000 of page and reprint charges, and beyond that we
can negotiate and make monetary contributions as we are able and as seems
reasonable for your role in the paper.

(2) The Hydrological Sciences Journal article, due nominally SEPTEMBER 24!
The Hydrological Sciences (Hazards) article is for a special issue covering
the Huaraz meeting last July on Andean Glaciation.  For that reason, the
core of this paper should pertain to Andean hazards, but I think
glaciological hazards in other regions can be represented, in part by
referencing. It  should be possible in a short time frame because some of
the chief components are written already, including most of what will be
the core of the paper: a discussion of the Palcacocha (Peru) press release
fiasco; Georg Kaser led that writeup, and so I am suggesting him as lead
author.  I will be happy to assemble the paper with Georg's leading
recommendations and advice, or Georg can take the full lead role.  I mostly
need an agreement from Georg to take the lead author's role.  A second
nomination for lead author, if Georg cannot do it, would be Andy Kaab, who
leads the Working Group on Glacier and Permafrost Hazards in Mountain
Areas, for which I am also a founding member.   Georg is fully justified if
he wishes to submit his informal paper as a separate paper unconnected to
this, in which case we can restructure this paper.  I will pay the first
$1500 of page and reprint charges, and beyond that we can negotiate as you
are able to contribute.  Please format your contribution in Microsoft Word
or plain text (no control characters).  FYI, on the ftp site metioned above
I have included a powerpoint presentation that pertains to Palcacocha  and
glacier hazards.  This is a document that I recently submitted to a USGS
panel on Earth Surface Dynamics.  We must decide: French or English.  We so
far have one vote for French.  I will not vote.  I am sure we have
translators amongst us to assist going one way or the other.
Authors' guidelines for IAHS journals, including Hydrological Sciences
Journal: http://www.cig.ensmp.fr/~iahs/press.htm

The GLIMS book is the highest long-term priority, but will take a back seat
until the two items above are completed, so pelase skim down to the second
and third of the outlines first.  COMMENTS?  SUGGESTIONS?  CONFIRMATION OF
YOUR INTENT TO CONTRIBUTE AND BE COAUTHOR OR LEAD AUTHOR?
===========
Plain text file giving initial outlines of three publications:

Title: Global Land Ice Measurements from Space

discussions include acceptance by prospective editor and publisher: Large
page format, high quality paper, large color section (40 pages), and CD for
excess data; 1 copy for each coauthor

Timeline:
(1) Book discussion kick-off at Norway GLIMS workshop Aug 2004.
(2) Finalize suggested/accepted authors' list late September 2004.
(3) Proposal to be submitted October 1, 2004.
(4) Proposal acceptance/contract signing expected around November, 2004.
(5) Prospective authors receive news of acceptance/signing and basic
guidelines, December 1, 2004.
(6) Authors submit chapter pre-abstract/extended outline December 31, 2004.
(7) Editorial team teleconference to identify gaps, overlaps, and
inconsistencies with book objectives and topics, and identify possible
fixes.  January 20, 2005.
(8) Editors revise and circulate back to authors recommended changes to
pre-abstracts/extended outlines, and discuss key issues with authors so as
to reduce chapter overlap, fill in topical gaps, and develop a uniform
presentational level.  All authors contacted before Feb. 1, 2005.
(9) Feb. 5, 2005: Editorial team teleconference to discus outstanding
matters and status of chapter authorship and topics.
(10) May 1, 2005: Chapter rough drafts due.
(11) June 15, 2005: Chapter final submission drafts due.
(12) June 25, 2005: Editorial team teleconference to discuss chapter
status, suggested reviewers, and outstanding issues.
(13) June 28, 2005: All authors contacted as a group by email to state
status of received manuscripts and outstanding issues.
(14) July 1, 2005: Decisions made and authors informed individually about
outstanding issues.  Editorial team teleconference to identify/approve
chapter review teams. Begin chapter review process.
(15) September 1, 2005: Due date for reviews.
(16) September 5, 2005: Reviews mailed to editorial team.
(17) September 15, 2005: Editorial team teleconference to review status of
reviews.  Review laggards identified.
(18) September 20, 2005: Review laggards contacted.
(19) October 1, 2005: Editorial team teleconference to review editorial
decisions about chapter reviews.
(20) October 15, 2005:  Reviews and decisions relayed to authors.
(21) December 1, 2005: Due date for revised chapter manuscripts.
(22) Dec. 2005: GLIMS workshop in New Zealand.  1 day will be spent just
going over chapter status and identifying urgent outstanding issues.
(23) January 2006: Editorial team teleconference to identify accepted
revised manuscripts.  Inform authors of final acceptance, give authors of
nearly acceptable manuscripts a last chance to make final imnprovements
needed for acceptance.
(24) February 2006: Final accepted manuscripts delivered to
Praxis-Springer.
(25) April 2006: Praxis-Springer identifies significant outstanding issues;
authors contacted to resolve those issues.
(26) May 2006: Galley proofs generated and distributed to authors.
(27) June 2006: Final corrections to galley proofs accepted by editorial
team and Parxais-Springer.
(28) August 2006: Book published and distributed.

DRAFT OUTLINE
460 pages + CD:
Preface (2 pages)

Contents (10 pages)

Introduction.  6 pages. (R. Barry and all editors)
- Changing glaciers, changing climate
- The role of glaciers in science and society
- The advent of satellite and other technology allowing development of a
systematic, uniform, publicly accessible  glacier inventory (static and
dynamic parameters)

SECTION I.  BACKGROUND

Chapter 1: GLIMS and related projects (Kargel, Raup, Bindschadler? et al.),
6 pages.
- Heritage projects: WGMS, USGS Satellite Image Atlas of the World's
Glaciers, Soviet glacier database and other regional databases, NSIDC union
of databases
- Background and history of GLIMS
- Relation to ASTER, and the ASTER STARs tuned for glaciers
- Landsat 7 acquisition plan for glaciers (Bob Bindschadler)
- Plan for GLIMS global glacier database at NSIDC
- Analysis methods overview
- Global organization of the GLIMS project

Chapter 2: Glaciology (Lead author TBD: invite a non-GLIMS lead author.  12
pages.
- Snow accumulation
- Snow metamorphism
- Glacier ablation
- Glacier flow by solid-state deformation
- Glacier sliding
- Bed erosion, regelation, basal tills/slurries
- Surface debris emplacement processes
- Glacier meltwater: production, supraglacial/englacial/subglacial storage,
runoff and subglacial meltwater flow, and groundwater injection

Chapter 3: Glacier Geomorphology from Space (distinct from but including
elements of glacial geomorphology).  Emphasize features that can be seen
from space.  12 pages.  Shroder, Bishop, Kargel, et al.

Chapter 4: Remote Sensing of Glaciers and the Physical Chemistry of Glacier
Materials. 12 pages.  Kargel
- Ice rheology as seen in surface flow deformation fields
- Vapor pressure as manifested in accumulation rates, surface flow speeds,
and attributes of glacier morphology
- Enthalpy of melting, thermal conductivity, and heat capacity of ice and
rock and how these thermodynamic properties affect glacier processes
visible from space.

SECTION II.  TECHNIQUES AND TOOLS

Chapter 5. GLIMS Database. 12 pages.  Raup, Barry, Haeberli, R Williams, et
al.
- Pictorial glossary of terms, illustrated with ground-based, aerial, and
  space-based imagery (based on Rau's work)
- how glaciers are represented in historical databases and the GLIMS
  Glacier database, and links/heritage from GLIMS database to other
  databases
- Satellite Image Atlas of the World's Glaciers (R Williams)
- World Glacier Monitoring Service inventory (W Haeberli)
- How GLIMS defines glaciers, ice shelves, etc.
- Lineage:  keeping track of glaciers that split into two or more parts
- Static and Dynamic parameters

Chapter 6.  GLIMSView.  12 pages. Raup, Soltesz, et al. (ADD WESSELS IF
HE'S BACK.)
- Introduction to GLIMSView
- Interface of GLIMSView with the database
- Include video or interactive demo of GLIMSView, and GLIMSView itself with
all current modules on CD

Chapter 7: Image data access.  12 pages, Raup et al.
- Image formats (various satellite datasets)
- ASTER standard L1A, L1B, and L2 processing and products (Raup)
- Available image processing packages.
- Acquired glacier image stats and maps
- Data access/availability, and ordering from EDC and other agencies
- GLIMS glacier image data pool served in WWW
- ASTER standard image band-to-band and inter-instrument co-registration
- ASTER standard image and other data geolocation and georeferencing

Chapter 8. Multispectral terrain classification.  18 pages.  Bishop,
Kaeaeb, Rau, Copland, Wheate, Raup, Kargel, Lee et al.  ADD WESSELS IF HE'S
BACK ON DUTY WITH GLIMS; OR WESSELS REPLACEMENT.
- GLIMS project geolocation/georeferencing, orthorectification, destriping
- GLIMS project image preprocessing-- topographic correction, anisotropic
reflection correction, etc. (Bishop)
- Methods of classification of H2O, rock, and vegetation surfaces, and
special classes, such as shadows
- Comparison of methods (a) with each other, (b) with ground observations

Chapter 9: DEM methods.  12 pages. (Bishop, MacKinnon, Kaeaeb, Raup, et al.
ADD WESSELS IF HE'S BACK.)
- Existing topo map data
- Stereo photogrammetric methods, including ASTER (standard product and
home-grown DEMs)-- we will likely emphasize this
- Radar altimetry
- Laser methods
- Use of topography in glacier mapping (slope and slope-change mapping,
drainage mapping, topographic textural facies mapping, combination of DEM
methods with multispectral methods)

Chapter 10: Glacier change analysis.  18 pages, Kaeaeb, Bishop, Kargel et
al.
- Margin retreat or advance
- Surface topography change
- Surface flow vector fields
- Debris cover
- Snow/ice grain size
- Lake change (extent, turbidity)

Chapter 11: Thermal imaging and analysis, 12 pages, Gillespie et al.

SECTION III. REGIONAL SCIENCE RESULTS
16 Chapters (12 pages each) by Regional Centers and papers on SAR
backscatter and SAR-interferometry; MODIS paper by Hall; and ICESAT laser
results.  Include also Bindschadler, Bamber, Hall, and others from outside
GLIMS project.

SECTION IV. SYNTHESIS AND APPLICATIONS OF SATELLITE REMOTE SENSING OF
GLACIERS

Chapter 28.  Global glacier mass balance, global climate change, and sea
level.  12 pages.  Barry, Gillespie et al.  Include Haeberli, R Williams,
Ommanney???, climate modelers and ice core analysts as authors to help make
the links and make sure we're not missing something important.

Chapter 29.  Applications of satellite remote sensing to glacier hazards.
12 pages.  Kaeaeb, Kargel, Haeberli et al. (including the whole Glacier and
Permafrost Hazards Working Group, ICIMOD group, and others)

Chapter 30. 12 pages.  Glacier water resources, sustainable mountain
development, and alpine ecology.  OTHER EXPERT, Kargel, Barry, Kaeaeb, R
Williams, et al.

Chapter 31: Global Circulation Models Relevant to Glaciers.  18 pages.
Andy Bush et al.
- What do these models say about recent past climate, and are the models
consistent with what the glaciers are separately telling us in actuality?
- What do these models say about likely future trends in glacier mass
balance, glacier length, glacier meltwater production and water supplies,
and glacier-related hazards?

Chapter 32.  Conclusions (Executive Summary style). 6 pages. Kargel and all
editors. (all authors?)

References (40 pages).

Internet resources (list of URLs), 1 page.

Index (13 pages)

CD or DVD supplement
- GLIMSView Demo, 300 MB
- Satellite Glacier Image Atlas (excess color plates), 300 MB = 100 plates.

==============================

Remote Sensing of the Environment, special issue on Terra/ASTER science
(Gillespie, chief editor)

Chapter title: Global Land Ice Measurements from Space

Due date: Nominally Sep. 15, 2004, but the EARLIEST we can make it is Oct.
31, 2004.  I have requested and received an extension.  If we cannot make
that deadline, then we will submit the manuscript elsewhere.  This paper
would be 44 pages, and it looks like it may be permitted at that length.
We can cut to a minimum of 24 pages if each bulleted section is reduced in
length by 1 page.

Concept:  This should follow the Bishop et al. paper: not supercede it, but
supplement it.  What have we learned that's new? How does it build on
Bishop et al?  What elements of Bishop et al. remain the state of the art?
What science applications are new (or just not reported in the Bishop et
al. paper and not reported elsewhere)?  This can be partly a brief
compendium of new results presented at this Norway GLIMS workshop.  Both
papers can remain current, complementary works to fill the gap before the
GLIMS book is  published.

Authors and outline to be established here, then supplemented,
organized/integrated and finalized after discussions with GLIMS people (via
GLIMS Update and one-on-one discussions) not at this meeting.  Outline to
be finalized by Sep. 20, 2004.  Sections due Oct. 18, 2004.  (NOT MUCH
TIME!)  Integrated manuscript by Oct. 23, 2004, distributed that day to all
participating authors.  Further minor authors' suggestions due Oct. 30.
Final acceptance and integration of feedback/revisions to manuscript Oct.
31, 2004, and submitted that day to Gillespie.   WE CAN DO IT!

Strawman outline (44 pages):

Abstract (Kargel and all authors-to be written Oct. 18-23) 1 page

Introduction, including project goals and methods summary and global
organization update, links to heritage projects (Kargel, Ferrigno,
Williams, Haeberli,  and all authors) 1 page.

Technology Update.
* Image accessibility, ordering, registration, general use (2 pages)
* Database developments/description (2 pages)
* GLIMSView developments/description (2 pages)
* Radiance preprocessing algorithms and tools (2 pages)
* Multispectral classification tools. (2 pages)
* DEM algorithms/tools (2 pages)

Science applications
* Regional Center sections (think about a printed page of text and a
printed page of figures and captions... not much!
-- Alaska (Kargel, Molnia, and Mathie) (2 pages)
-- Euro Alps (Kaab, Paul, et al. 2 pages)
-- New Zealand (Mathieu, 2 pages)
--South and Central Asia-Himalaya/Hindu Kush (Bishop, Shroder, Kargel,
Hasnain, 2 pages)
-- Svalbard (Hamilton, Isackson, Koenig) 2 pages
-- Canada RC-Arctic Canada (Cawkwell, 2 pages)
-- Canada RC-Cordillera (Wheate, 2 pages)
-- Antarctic Peninsula-Frank Rau, 2 pages
-- Who else is ready to go?
* Field validation, 3 pages (Hall, Molnia, Engeset)
* Topical science sections
-- Mountain geomorphology (Bishop, Shroder) 2 pages

Practical applications and conclusions
* Hazards (3 pages, Kaeaeb and Kargel)
* Water resources (2 pages, Engeset, Kargel)
* Global synthesis of regional center results and published literature-what
does it?  How does glacier remote sensing compare with GCM models of recent
climate change?  Why are some glaciers advancing while most are losing
mass?  What is prognosis for future?  Andy Bush, Wilfried Haeberli, Jeff
Kargel, Rune Engeset (3 pages)

===============================

Satellite Remote Sensing and Field Investigation of Glaciological Hazards:
Of Science and Responsibility

To be submitted Sep. 24 to the Hydrological Sciences Journal, special issue
covering the July 2004 meeting on Andean Glaciation in Huaraz, Peru

Arnaud, Georges, Kargel, Kaser, Morales, Raup, Silverado, Williams, Zapata,
Lead author: Kaser, Kaab, or Kargel????  I suggest Kaser or Kaab.

OUTLINE:

Abstract 1 page

Introduction (Kaab or Kaser or Kargel) 1 page

Disaster Response: The Kolka Glacier, Caucasus, Russia (Kaab and Raup)-2
pages.

Hazards and Their Mitigation: European Alps (Kaab, Georges, Raup)  1page.

Hazards and Their Mitigation: Nepal and Bhutan Himalaya (Mool, Shrestha,
Kaser, and others)-2 pages.

Hazards and Their Mitigation: Chugach and Wrangells, Alaska (Kargel and
Trabant) 2 pages.

A Regrettable Blunder: Palcacocha, Cordillera Blanca, Peru
(Arnaud, Georges, Kargel, Kaser, Morales, Zapata--Kaser lead?)-5 pages.
Adapt and expand the Kaser et al. pdf. (See Attachment 1). Kargel can add
some field images from July 5, 2004 (See Attachment 2).

Glaciological and Climatic Trends and the Future of Alpine Glaciological
Hazards
(Kargel and Kaab)-2 pages.

Conclusions:  A Protocol for Public Contacts, Research Regarding
Glaciological Hazards, and Needed Remote Sensing Capabilities.  1 page.
(GAPHAZ group)