[GLIMS] Shooting in Boulder

Bruce RAUP braup at nsidc.org
Tue Mar 30 15:14:36 MDT 2021

Hello all,

I have had numerous notes from people asking about the recent shooting in
my home town, so I thought I would send a short message to this list about
it.

The shooting happened in a grocery store just a few minutes' walk from my
home, Monday last week.  My wife and I were in Arizona at the time, so we
were not in danger, but one of our sons was at home, and at the time
working in the hardware store in the same shopping center.  He heard all
the shots, and someone fleeing that scene ran into his store, and he ended
up giving her a ride home, since her car was in the shooting zone.  Both my
sons knew, as passing acquaintances, a couple of the victims.

The store will remain closed for a while, as they are still investigating
the crime scene, and then there will be repairs to be made.  The road in
front of the store now overflows with crowds of people bringing flowers and
other remembrances.

These events are far too frequent and it's maddening that little of
substance ever gets done to prevent them.  This one was far too close to
home in my case, but sooner or later we all (in the US) will have them
happen too close to home unless we do more to prevent them.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.
Bruce

--
Bruce H. RAUP
National Snow and Ice Data Center