[GLIMS] Landsat NEXT (Landsat 10) recommendations

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 16 10:06:29 MST 2020

Dear GLIMS people:
I hope you are safe and healthy, or if you have fallen ill with COVID that your recovery is full. And for the present predicament of more lockdowns, I wish you sanity and contentment as we await better days!

I am happy to say that our earlier recommended addition of two sensor bands (what I called GLIMS1 and GLIMS2) has been adopted in the still-evolving Landsat 10 design. They are called bands 13a and 13b. See the attached Landsat NEXT sensor specifications document. I have responded to a recent NASA Request for Information (other attached document), where I am pushing for a good stereo imaging band at least the equal of ASTER's and hopefully better. I included in it some guidance I think from Ted Scambos, where we both agreed that 60 degrees was way too much, because we would mainly be seeing hazes, and it is overkill for parallax. The RFI included some words about a possible multiplatform structure, which would make sense to aid stereo imaging that way. So I really didn't have much guidance to offer, aside from that important matter. It seems that it will be an amazing satellite/camera/sensor setup, maybe not that vast of an improvement over the super-amazing Sentinel-2, but an improvement over that and also Landsat 8 (and 9 coming up next year).

For those of you who responded to me during last June's flurry of activity on this, thank you very much. Now, let's try to get good stereo imaging!
Cheers,
Jeff Kargel