[GLIMS] ASTER imaging plan

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 2 13:12:50 MDT 2020

Dear GLIMS listers:
It has been several years since there were any changes to the GLIMS/glacier Science Team Acquisition Request for mission planning. I welcome any feedback on recent experiences with ASTER data. Things you might address could be:

  1.  Is it still useful to you? No longer useful?
  2.  Are you still using it? If not, would you if adequate imagery existed? Or have other sensor systems made ASTER outdated for your application?
  3.  How are you using it, and which products are you using?
  4.  Are ASTER acquisitions adequate? Too few or enough images? Is the date of year of acquired images helpful or problematic? Why is it problematic (too low sun, too abundant clouds, too much snow,  wrong season for other reasons? Or is heavy snow cover what you are after?
  5.  Can the imaging season be improved-- if so, what months would you prefer? Be specific, including the location of the desired images.
  6.  If you are using ASTER data and a future continuation of previous acquisition dates and numbers of scenes is adequate, we want to know that, too.
  7.  You may add references or links to your papers if it helps make your case.

Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel