[GLIMS] Special rock glaciers

Andreas Kääb a.m.kaab at geo.uio.no
Mon May 11 03:19:30 MDT 2020

Hi Jeff and Frank

Thanks for your discussion about rock glaciers!

I think if GLIMS gets pulled in the discussion whether rock glaciers are
glaciers or not or a common continuum or so, it can get quite messy. Also,
such
concepts are changing, and the GLIMS data base should as much as possible
be independent of such theories, concepts, new findings etc. Rather, it
could form a database to develop or test such concepts. So, I vote for
including rock glaciers where data providers can and want, and mark them
as rock glaciers to the extent possible. As you say, in a number of cases
a spatial continuum can make it difficult to delineate sharply.

Two remarks:

There is a working group by IPA about mapping rock glaciers. They
develop(ed) quite complex criteria, perhaps too complex for GLIMS?
https://www3.unifr.ch/geo/geomorphology/en/research/ipa-action-group-rock-glacier/

A paper about the discussion that I like is attached.
Berthling I: Beyond confusion: Rock glaciers as cryo-conditioned
landforms.

Best! Stay healthy!

Andy