[GLIMS] GLIMS STARs acquisition success check

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:24:22 MDT 2011

Bill,
Generally, start dates this summer have been delayed father into the summer to try to avoid excessively snowy conditions.
As I understand it, you've been finding 2011 ASTER scenes from southern Greenland, but none above 77.1N.  There may be a good reason for it, hopefully, and maybe the STARs are functioning.
I just compared some of the high-latitude Greenland STARs for a January 2009 implementation versus what should have been implemented for this year starting last month.  In 2009 some of the far northern Greenland STARs had acquisition windows starting on June 1, 2009 and ran until Sep. 4, 2009.  In 2011, the same STARs started either July 1 or July 12.  One reason for the change was that we had been getting images that were too snowy, as you reported; hence the July start dates now.  I don't recall why some now start July 1 versus July 12.  However, in 2009, some of the Greenland STARs also started as late as July 15.  The biggest reason for the delayed start is that we don't want any June images even from southern Greenland. But we want more images from July and August!
In any case, can you search again now that a few more days have elapsed? We need to be sure that the GLIMS STARs are implemented and working. We are checking other areas, so if you can re-check Greenland that would be helpful.
Other regional center checks would be helpful, especially from the northern hemisphere. (However, the Himalaya STARs mainly start in September due to the monsoon.)
--Jeff