[GLIMS] GLIMS Update: Fall AGU abstracts due Aug 4; GLIMS sessions; miniworkshop

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 16 21:25:29 MDT 2011

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

Reminder and update:

1. Fall AGU

Please note the following GLIMS-related AGU sessions.  There
are other interesting cryo sessions.  I note in red session conveners who
are also GLIMS stewards, regional center chiefs, or authors of GLIMS book
chapters.  I may have missed some red highlights, but the list is a good
measure of how GLIMS is active at one of the world's premier geophysics and Earth
science meetings. Please submit your AGU abstracts by the August 4 due
date!  It would be great to see GLIMS-affiliated abstracts at each of
these sessions.

2. GLIMS miniworkshop

Just from the conveners/co-conveners alone, we have a good core
of GLIMS people for a miniworkshop, and together with other frequent AGU
participants who are either affiliated with GLIMS or may be interested to check
out recent progress, I would like to aim for full evening miniworkshop in a
large hotel room suite, where we'll serve pizza (veggie and not), beer, etc.,
and have some presentations and good discussions.  These things are ALWAYS
open to the general glaciology community, so it doesn't matter if you are a
GLIMS person or not, we welcome you.  After abstract acceptance
notifications have been sent from AGU, I will solicit names of people expecting
to attend the miniworkshop, and your preferred meeting date, so that the room
size is right, and to help with structuring the evening.

Cheers,

Jeff Kargel

LIST OF GLIMS-RELATED AGU SESSIONS AND CONVENERS (there will be plenty other great cryo sessions, too!)

Apologies to those who should be in red but are not. An
omission means that one of our databases needs updating.

C03: Alaska and
British Columbia Glaciers: A Glaciological Update

1. Matthias
Braun
University of
Alaska Fairbanks
(907) 474-1522
mabra at gi.alaska.edu

2. Richard
Forster
Univ Utah
(801)
581-3611
rick.forster at geog.utah.edu

C08: Documenting the State of the Cryosphere with Climate Data
Records

Dorothy Hall
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Ctr
(301) 614-5771
dorothy.k.hall at nasa.gov

2. Walter Meier
(303) 492-6508
walt at nsidc.org

C12: Glacier Monitoring from In-situ and Remotely Sensed
Observations

1. Richard
Armstrong
(303) 492-1828
rlax at nsidc.org

2. J. Cogley
Trent Univ
(705)742-0317
gcogley at trentu.ca

3. Isabelle
Gartner-Roer
isabelle.roer at geo.uzh.ch

4. Bruce Raup
(303) 492-8814
braup at nsidc.org

C13: Glacier Surging and Ice Streaming: Fast Flow and
Instabilities

1. Gwenn Flowers
(778) 782 6638
gflowers at sfu.ca

2. Hester
Jiskoot
University of
Lethbridge
+1 403 3292739
hester.jiskoot at uleth.ca

3. Ian Joughin
University of Washington
ian at apl.washington.edu

C18: Land Ice-ocean Interactions in Greenland and Antarctica

1. Eric Rignot
JPL
(818) 354-1640
erignot at uci.edu

2. Fiammetta Straneo
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
508.289.2914
fstraneo at whoi.edu

C19: Measuring and Interpreting Glacier Surface Velocities

1. Yushin Ahn
Byrd Polar Research Center
614-688-8635
ahnysleo at gmail.com

2. Timothy Bartholomaus
Geophysical Institute - UAF
(907) 474-5751
tbartholomaus at gi.alaska.edu

3. W Pfeffer
University
of Colorado
pfeffer at tintin.colorado.edu

4. Ethan Welty
University of Colorado
2068533712
ethan.welty at colorado.edu

C21: Monitoring Changes in Polar Ice Sheets and Sea Ice Using
Airborne and Satellite Remote Sensing

1. Kenneth Jezek
The Ohio State University
(614) 292-7973
jezek.1 at osu.edu

2. Jacqueline Richter-Menge
USA CRREL
(603) 646-4266
jacqueline.a.richter-menge at usace.army.mil

3. Michael Studinger
Goddard Earth Sci & Tec. Cent.
(301) 614-6908
michael.studinger at nasa.gov

4. Duncan John Wingham
Univ College London
44-20-7679-3031
djw at cpom.ucl.ac.uk

C23: Mountain Glaciers and Their Response to Climate

1. Andrew
Fountain
Portland State
Univ
(503) 725-3386
andrew at pdx.edu

2. Brian
Menounos
Univ Northen
British Columbia
(250)960-6266
menounos at unbc.ca

3. Allen Pope
University of Cambridge
7503750716
ap556 at cam.ac.uk

4. Bryan Mark
Ohio State Univ
(614) 247-6180
mark.9 at osu.edu

5. Michel Baraer
(514) 398-3833
michel.baraer at mail.mcgill.ca

6. Jeffrey McKenzie
Grenfell Campus, MUN
jeffrey.mckenzie at mcgill.ca

C26: Past, Present and Future of Himalayan Glaciers

1. Umesh
Haritashya
University of
Dayton