Imja lake image

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:57:48 MDT 2010

Hi Bruce and Michon et al.,
Well, however it is categorized, it is a public communication with news attention focussed on it.  The caption is not bad.  Those things are tough to write with public clarity and science rigor, and this would be a reasonable caption in any other situation.  There exists hypersensitivity in regions where glacier hazards are rampant, and for legitimate reason, given the history of reporting and the history of actual physical events (and panic type events).  In my opinion, a new protocol is needed where NASA, wherever possible, routinely seeks the expert advice of those closest to the situation, before issuing any public statement (press release, picture of the day, or whatever).   I don't think any given expert can or should hold veto power over public communications, but the specific consultation with experts (at least by email) should precede dissemination of opinions, qualitative or quantitative assessments, or assertive statements about hazard situations.  And with fewest possible exceptions, gray literature should not be relied upon as a reference.  Considering the Palcacocha Affair, NASA should double up efforts to assure these steps in the communications chain are not circumvented.  In this case, I don't think any harm was done; and a good image was brought to public attention.  But it would be a very small step from where this caption actually went in its text to a stage where the media could be whipped into a frenzy.
I am copying the whole GLIMS email list only because I think an occasional reminder of the sensitivity of such matters is better than letting the lessons of Palcacocha fade.  (And now, Palcacocha has recently grown like crazy.)  It is definitely a high-wire balancing act to get it right, because even reduced-danger situations generally always retain capacity for harm in such systems.
Thanks for your discussion about this matter.
Cheers,
Jeff