GLIMS Update: Oslo Polar Science Conference June 8-12, 2010

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 16 15:21:06 MST 2009

Dear GLIMS colleagues,
Please consider submitting GLIMS abstracts to the Oslo Polar Science Conference, to be held near Oslo next June 8-12.We have indirect word that the session to be convened by Jon Ove Hagen may be a good place to place your presentations.  If you look at the program, you will note that alpine glaciers and even polar ice sheets do not seem to fit strongly into the plans.  We understand that polar bears and lichens have their own important mass balance, but we need to get the word out that glaciers and polar ice sheets do, too, and are important!  ;-)
It is our understanding that if many glacier/ice sheet abstracts are received, we may find a good place in the conference.  If this does not turn out to be the case, then we would hold a separate extended GLIMS workshop, which may take place during two of the main conference days.  Even if we do get well placed in the main conference, we may wish to hold a 1-day or half-day GLIMS side meeting.
I would like to make this one of GLIMS's best showings.  We can support this polar science meeting and support GLIMS at the same time, regardless of how the schedule the glacier/ice sheet presentations.  Submitters should inform me of whether they get selected for an oral presentation or poster, and whether you are satisfied with the assignment.   In any case, we will have a great meeting.
Abstracts are due January 20.  http://www.ipy-osc.no/section/1257865053.48Session T2-3 may be the best match for us.
Regardless of which session you submit to, it will be helpful to use the keyword GLIMS in your title or abstract.
Cheers,
Jeff Kargel