GLIMS Update: Northern Hemisphere regular GLIMS and GLIMS+ imaging

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 2 11:21:21 MDT 2009

GLIMS colleagues:
My apologies... here is the promised attachment of GLIMS+ requests.
--Jeff K

From: jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
To: glims at flagmail.wr.usgs.gov
Subject: GLIMS Update: Northern Hemisphere regular GLIMS and GLIMS+ imaging
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:35:46 +0000

Dear GLIMS colleagues,
The northern hemisphere summer is here.  Regular GLIMS imaging by ASTER and the special GLIMS+ imaging supplement should have been initiated in many areas; others will have imaging begin at various dates through the sumer (July 5, July 15, August 1, and September 1 are some of the common dates).  For your reference, I again attach the GLIMS+ request that hopefully has been implemented fully in the ASTER imaging planner.   The GLIMS+ request was compiled from GLIMS user requests made through me.
For those who have imaging requests already initiated (many began on July 1 and others on June 15), you should be checking frequently to see the progress of imaging and report to me any problems (or successes).  It is important to get this feedback so as to be sure that the GLIMS+ STAR is working.  As I have noted before, we have incorporated a new parameter called "slopeshift," which should help produce GLIMS+ images having a lower degree of saturation on sunward facing slopes.  The regular GLIMS STAR should produce images without this parameter; it will be useful at the end of the summer to compare the quality of images to see whether slopeshift is desired for regular GLIMS acquisitions as well; we can customize these changes as needed and requested.
Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel