GLIMS+: Euro Alps, Russian Arctic, Ellesmere Island, Pakistan

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 2 13:00:37 MDT 2009

Dear all,
The following areas should already have turned on, some as recently as yesterday, for GLIMS+ imaging.  The people in charge of these areas should be conducting regular searches for images, not just for your own work, but to help the GLIMS project identify any problems with the GLIMS+ plan implementation.  If you find images with heavy saturation over snow, they are probably not GLIMS+ scenes, but they could be regular GLIMS scenes (if modest saturation) or non-GLIMS scenes (if heavy saturation).  I will be particularly interested to know that low-saturation, high-quality scenes are being recorded; and if none are.   It may take a week or two to record some scenes, but I must know BEFORE July 15 if there is a problem.  The more information sooner, the better.
Areas already turned on:
Euro Alps, July 1
Scandinavia: Storbreen, Jostedalsbreen, Alforbreen, Jan Mayen island, July 1
Pakistan: K2 area, May 1 (I am not actually sure if this one is in progress or does not begin until May 1 next year)
Canada: northern tip of Ellesmere Island, July 1
Russia: Franz Josef Land, Graham Bell Island, Novaya Zemlya, June 15
See previous message attachment for other areas which are soon to turn on (a few more starting July 5).
--Jeff Kargel