volume/area/thickness scaling of glaciers

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 20 15:14:17 MDT 2007

Dear all,

It is fairly evident to me, and I think most glaciologists (though I cannot speak for others), that various scaling concepts and parameterizations are better than having no data on by far most glaciers in the world, or having some data on lots of glaciers in terms of length but being unable to translate a one-dimensional measurement (or measured change in that variable) to three dimensions (plus time in case of multi-temporal measurements).  Obviously there are hard limits in what can be done using scaling, and scaling is no substitute for direct measurements of things like mass balance and volume; but it is a complement to such direct measures, and this complement has the effect of making more truly global and comprehensive our monitoring of the world's glaciers-- with the necessary underpinning that we must continue/expand real monitoring by intensive ground-based methods.  GLIMS and the direct measurements we produce would have fairly little use in the absence of some sort of scaling or the capacity later to apply scaling.

So.... there is no need for as a fratricidal argument, but there is a need (as there has been all along for decades) for more in-situ measurements, improved approaches to scaling, wider application of scaling to existing data, and more intensive remote observations (and analysis of existing images) that can be scaled.  And there is a need for responses to Will's questions, below.  I encourage at least people in the GLIMS community (others, too, of course) to formulate thoughtful responses to all the points that have been made by the discussants, assuming that the argument aspect is a non-issue (thus not in need of further comment) and all the substance matters are issues.

My apologies to those who are on both mailing lists used, but I want to be sure that the substance of the discussion is relayed fully to the GLIMS subsector of the glaciology community.  Perhaps GLIMS respondents can mail directly to Will Harrison, Mark Meir, David Bahr, and Wilfried Haeberli, so that there is not rabbit-like reproduction of comments, which I hope will be numerous but not double-mailed (to some people) like my message!  Then perhaps those people can sort through the comments and decide on something with consultation with IGS officers.  Just a thought.

Cheers,
Jeff Kargel