GLIMS Update: GLIMS Book re-awakens

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 19 19:10:31 MST 2006

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

A way-overdue reawakening of the GLIMS book project has taken place.  The outline attached is only slightly modified from where it was a year ago.  The suggested author names are highly incomplete, unconfirmed by the authors, and in no way represents either completeness of the list or any form of confirmation of first author status.  I just need your re-confirmation of interest, or your first-time expression of interest, your ideas on book organization, your thoughts about how individual chapter should be organized, suggestions for lead or co-authorship, and so on.  The list of chapters can be changed at this point, so please make your recommendations.  I nshould note that the editors had strongly recommended cutting back the number of editors, and it was necessary to make some hard choices about that.

If this slightly revised version does not include some changes you had recommended, you have my apologies, but please re-send your prior suggestions; please use a reply function so that I can do an email search by subject line.

Praxis has been very patiently waiting for my submission of a solicited book proposal, and I dare not keep them waiting much longer.  We should have a very high-quality book (with color throughout and a DVD supplement being possible).  I am still hoping for publication within the International Polar Year timeframe, late in 2008.  This will be after the IPCC has issued their new report and after Richard Williams and a huge team has completed the long and important series on Satellite Image Atlas of the Glaciers of the World.  This GLIMS book will nicely complement those vital reports as the first in-depth compendium of GLIMS glacier science research results and methodologies; the book will fill in and add greatly to recent consortium papers and individual GLIMS regional or topical papers.

I attach the outline and include a text version below.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel
======
GLOBAL LAND ICE MEASUREMENTS FROM SPACE:

					Editors

					Jeffrey S. Kargel
					Michael P. Bishop
					Andrew Kääb
					Bruce Raup

NAC – need lead author confirmation

Preface (editors)

Forward (Hugh Kieffer-NAC)

SECTION 1: Background

Chapter 1:	GLIMS and Global Glacier Monitoring (Jeff Kargel)
Chapter 2:	Climate and Glacier Dynamics
	NOTE: Coordinate with Chapter 28
Chapter 3:	Remote Sensing Science and Glacier Assessment (Bishop et al.)

SECTION 2: Remote Sensing and GIS Technology

Chapter 4:	Satellite Image Acquisition and Preprocessing (John Dwyer-NAC)
Chapter 5:	Digital Elevation Models and Geomorphometry  (Bishop et al.)
Chapter 6:	Glacier Mapping Approaches (Andy Kaab-NAC)
Chapter 7:	Glacier Change Detection (Andy Kaab-NAC)
Chapter 8: 	Meltwater: Remote Sensing and Characterization (Roberto Furfaro & Jeff Kargel)
Chapter 9: 	GLIMSview Software (Bruce Raup-NAC)
Chapter 10:	GLIMS Database and GLACE Standardization (Bruce Raup-NAC)

SECTION 3: Regional Results

Chapter 11: 	Alaska
	NOTE: We could have two or more Alaska chapters
Chapter 12:	Contiguous United States (Andrew Fountain-NAC)
Chapter 13:	Canada (Roger Wheate, Fiona Cawkwell, Luke Copland, Katie Filbert et al.-NAC)
Chapter 14:	Cordillera Blanca (Christian Georges, Adina Racoviteanu NAC)
       NOTE: Include all S American tropical glaciers?  All tropical glaciers in one chapter?  Or combine those in South America into one chapter?)
Chapter 15:	Chilean Andes  (Gino Casassa & Francisca Bown-NAC)
	NOTE: See questions above about possible consolidation of chapters
Chapter 16: 	Patagonia (Andres Rivera-NAC)
	NOTE: See questions above about possible consolidation of chapters

Chapter 17:	Norway (Liss Marie Andreassen)
Chapter 18:	Iceland (Helgi Bjornsson, A. Gudmundsson-NAC)
Chapter 19:	Greenland (Gordon Hamilton, Leigh Stearns, Bill Sneed?)
Chapter 20:	Svalbard (Gordon Hamilton, Leigh Stearns, et al.-NAC)
Chapter 21:	Afghanistan and Pakistan (Bishop, Shroder, et al.)
Chapter 22: 	India, Bhutan, Nepal (Av Kulkarni, et al.-NAC)
Chapter 23: 	Euro Alps (Andy Kaeaeb, Roberto Ranzi, et al.)
Chapter 24:	New Zealand (Blair Fitzharris, Luke Copland? et al.-NAC)
Chapter 25:	China (Liu Shiyin et al.-NAC)
Chapter 26:	Former Soviet Central Asia (Validimir Konovalov-NAC)
Chapter 27:	West Antarctica (?)

SECTION 4: Synthesis and Resource, Planning and Management Applications

Chapter 28:	Global Glacier Trends and Climate Change (?)
         NOTE: Coordinate with Chapter 2.
Chapter 29:	Glacier Hazards and Monitoring (Andrew Kaab-NAC)
Chapter 30:	Glacier Water Resources and Sustainable Development (?)
Chapter 31:	Summary and Global Understandings (editors)